USA to UK voltage converter

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
quick question for the electrical gueniuses out there
I am looking at purchasing a dehydrator (for someone else) that has come from the USA and has not been converted by the manufacturer to UK voltage.

it states: 600 watts 120volts/60hz

So, can someone please link me to what I need to buy pretty please?

the auction ends in 3 days... Ones made for the UK are retailing around £329.99 and typically sell second hand for +£250. There is this one that starts at £75 and has little interest in it because of that USA-UK issues and the fact they guy/gal won't post it, but happens to be quite local.

There is a chance I may not actually need the converter, so the other option is to replace the fan motor with one I already (by accident - wrong part sent to me) happen to have which has UK voltages wrtitten on it... that could be a better way to go and I don't mind pulling the thing apart (I have already replaced a thermostat on mine).
thank you.

OP
OP
SatNavSaysStraightOn

SatNavSaysStraightOn

Changed hemispheres!
thanks redlight and kestevan. sounds like if I go down that route then the better option would be to switch out the motor fan which from the wiring on the UK version with timer than I have is straight forward. this one is without the timer, so only thermostat and fan motor. will think it over and check wiring first, but the fan motor I have is a UK one, just don't know about the thermostat and don't have a spare one to play with... mummmmmm
thanks

OP
OP
SatNavSaysStraightOn

SatNavSaysStraightOn

Changed hemispheres!
I thought those things had a heating element as well as a fan? Could be wrong though.
yeh they do, but its nothing fancy and comes off the fan, via the thermostat and connects directly up... simply wire connecting wire - would they seriously manufacturer 2 different tyes of heating element with difference wire thicknesses? The company is an US company that has dedicated EU stockists.

Davidc

Guru
A 115v element will take 4 times its rated power on 230v (increases with square of voltage so doubled voltage gives quadrupled power)

Despite the thermostat the device may well fail quickly without a change of element.

Night Train

Maker of Things
quick question for the electrical gueniuses out there
I am looking at purchasing a dehydrator (for someone else) that has come from the USA and has not been converted by the manufacturer to UK voltage.

it states: 600 watts 120volts/60hz

So, can someone please link me to what I need to buy pretty please?

the auction ends in 3 days... Ones made for the UK are retailing around £329.99 and typically sell second hand for +£250. There is this one that starts at £75 and has little interest in it because of that USA-UK issues and the fact they guy/gal won't post it, but happens to be quite local.

There is a chance I may not actually need the converter, so the other option is to replace the fan motor with one I already (by accident - wrong part sent to me) happen to have which has UK voltages wrtitten on it... that could be a better way to go and I don't mind pulling the thing apart (I have already replaced a thermostat on mine).
thank you.
I have some big 110V site transformers. If you want to try one let me know.

A 115v element will take 4 times its rated power on 230v (increases with square of voltage so doubled voltage gives quadrupled power)

Despite the thermostat the device may well fail quickly without a change of element.

A crude way of dealing with heating elements is to put a rectifier in series with it so it only sees half the voltage. I would be careful to check the capacitor voltage rating on the thermostat though or that could go spectacularly pop if its only 120V rated.

Top Bottom