Use 11 speed cassette on rims currently fitted with 10 speed

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Smuggs

Going into retirement disgracefully!
Hi all,

Some advice required please. I am thinking of buying a wheelset which has a 10 speed cassette fitted (Shimano105). I would like to use the wheels on my 11 speed bike (Shimano Ultegra).
So the question is can i fit my 11 speed cassette to the new wheelset and will that run okay with my ultegra derailluer, using my 11 speed chain?

Many thanks.

Smuggs

Milkfloat

An Peanut
Short answer it depends.

If the freehub is 11 speed then yes it is fine. You simply remove the cassette and spacers(s) and fit the 11 speed cassette. If it is a 10 speed hub then no it won't fit (unless you do some serious diy).

Tiem to ask the seller some questions.

OP
OP
Smuggs

Smuggs

Short answer it depends.

If the freehub is 11 speed then yes it is fine. You simply remove the cassette and spacers(s) and fit the 11 speed cassette. If it is a 10 speed hub then no it won't fit (unless you do some serious diy).

Tiem to ask the seller some questions.
Thanks milkfloat. How would you know if the freehub is 10 or 11 speed? As the seller is selling bike with 10 speed cassette, would assume it is also a 10 speed freehub. Bike is a Giant Defy 2 road.

DCLane

Found in the Yorkshire hills ...
Thanks milkfloat. How would you know if the freehub is 10 or 11 speed? As the seller is selling bike with 10 speed cassette, would assume it is also a 10 speed freehub. Bike is a Giant Defy 2 road.

The freehub will have '11 speed' printed on it if it's an 11 speed. If it's not there then it's 10 speed.

Otherwise you're looking at fitting an expensive Edco 11 speed cassette which they make for 10 speed hubs.

Milkfloat

An Peanut
To add to @DCLane You can also ask the seller to measure, but they need to be accurate
maxresdefault.jpg

OP
OP
Smuggs

Smuggs

Thanks milkfloat and DCLane. Very helpful and appreciated!

DCLane

Found in the Yorkshire hills ...
@Smuggs - one option is to change the freehub. I'm about to see if an American Classic 11 speed freehub on a 42mm aluminium wheel will fit onto an American Classic 58mm carbon wheel which currently has a 10 speed freehub on.

johnblack

Über Member
I believe that some Mavic wheels built running 10spd as standard will accept 11spd?

If the freehub is long enough to take an 11 speed cassette, but it has a 10 speed cassette on it at present, there will be a spacer between the largest sprocket and the base of the freehub. If there’s no spacer, and it’s got a 10 speed cassette on it, it almost certainly won’t be long enough for an 11 speed cassette, and you’ll have to change the freehub for one that will take an 11 speed cassette.

OP
OP
Smuggs

Smuggs

If the freehub is long enough to take an 11 speed cassette, but it has a 10 speed cassette on it at present, there will be a spacer between the largest sprocket and the base of the freehub. If there’s no spacer, and it’s got a 10 speed cassette on it, it almost certainly won’t be long enough for an 11 speed cassette, and you’ll have to change the freehub for one that will take an 11 speed cassette.
Thanks for the above suggestions. I was actually going to ask if the freehub could be changed for a 11 speed. I’ve attached a picture of the wheel. Can’t see any spacer so assume it is a 10 speed hub.

Attachments

• D9B4927D-8F3E-43C7-9ED3-C80938CEFFF1.jpeg
    D9B4927D-8F3E-43C7-9ED3-C80938CEFFF1.jpeg
    117.2 KB · Views: 31
Thanks for the above suggestions. I was actually going to ask if the freehub could be changed for a 11 speed. I’ve attached a picture of the wheel. Can’t see any spacer so assume it is a 10 speed hub.
I’m fairly certain that that’s an old ( discontinued) Mavic wheel design, and it came with an ( up to ) 10 speed freehub.

clog

An 11 speed cassette will fit fine on Mavic freehubs made since about 1999, they were originally designed longer as Mavic did at one time sell Cassettes/cogs. This meant that when 11 speed came along they were already compatible.

The Wheel pictured will be fine. Its only a few years old

An 11 speed cassette will fit fine on Mavic freehubs made since about 1999, they were originally designed longer as Mavic did at one time sell Cassettes/cogs. This meant that when 11 speed came along they were already compatible.

The Wheel pictured will be fine. Its only a few years old
You’re assuming the freehub is the same one it was supplied with. The fact the cassette is 10 speed, and torqued up, without a spacer behind the largest sprocket, tells me it’s not.

Top Bottom