Use by date for cycling gels

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Shut Up Legs

Down Under Member
Can anyone give me an idea of how long past their use by date cycling gels are still good to use? I did a web search, but found nothing useful.

Thanks,

--- Victor.

helston90

Eat, sleep, ride, repeat.
I had one last week which was nearly 4 weeks out of date- I'm fine, that's about as scientific as it gets!
How far past are the ones you've found in the back of your drawer?

winjim

Smash the cistern
Is it "best before" or "use by"? If the former they'll be fine, if the latter then bin 'em. Although I think they're probably not going to do you any harm.

OP
OP
Shut Up Legs

Shut Up Legs

Down Under Member
Is it "best before" or "use by"? If the former they'll be fine, if the latter then bin 'em. Although I think they're probably not going to do you any harm.
It says "best before...", so I think I might keep them. Although, if I get a chance before our Audax Alpine Classic (the ride for which I bought them), I'll buy replacements.

As always, thanks for the feedback, fellow CC people.

stephec

Legendary Member
Take one at home and see, if you get the shoots, at least you will be near the toilet and will know for sure!

This. :biggrin:

U

User6179

It says "best before...", so I think I might keep them. Although, if I get a chance before our Audax Alpine Classic (the ride for which I bought them), I'll buy replacements.

As always, thanks for the feedback, fellow CC people.

If the first one does not kill you then eat the rest ^_^

derrick

The Glue that binds us together.
One of the girls had an out of date gel, did not do her a lot of good, she spat it out straight away, she was reaching for the rest of the ride, don't know how old it was, but i do check the dates on mine now, A couple of months might be alright, Let us know how you get on Rockymountain:whistle:

w00hoo_kent

One of the 64K
Considering in date ones can be a bit dodgy for some people I definitely wouldn't risk an out of date one while on an important ride. Having said that I've never looked at the dates on mine.

Kestevan

Last of the Summer Winos
Given that the ingredients are basically water, sugars (of various types), a gelling agent and some flavouring I'd guess that there isn't much to go wrong.
I've certainly used Gels that have been out of date by months (possibly years) with no ill effects.

Top Bottom