use of windows movie maker

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

bonj2

When you import an avi into windows movie maker, it seems to split it up into 'clips' that you then drag onto the 'timeline' and can then trim to edit the video.
But what controls at what points in the video it makes these splits?
When i imported a test avi in the 'clips' that it's split it up into aren't the same length at all.

alecstilleyedye

nothing in moderation
is there a maximum clip length that automatically splits the original file on capture? it does this on imovie on the mac, but not in final cut pro (professional stuff).

Arch

Married to Night Train
No idea why it does it, it does it to me too. As I rarely want the whole thing, I just put the clips I want into the storyboard in the right order and leave the rest. Or you can just highlight the lot before you do anything else, and click the 'join clips' button, which I can't remember just now whether it's just there or in the edit or tools menu.. (and don't have my laptop here to check...)

Carwash

Señor Member
bonj said:
When you import an avi into windows movie maker, it seems to split it up into 'clips' that you then drag onto the 'timeline' and can then trim to edit the video.
But what controls at what points in the video it makes these splits?
When i imported a test avi in the 'clips' that it's split it up into aren't the same length at all.

Google is your friend, bonj:

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/using/moviemaker/learnmore/creatingclips.mspx

'Clips are automatically created if you have selected the Create clips for video files check box when you import a video file into Windows Movie Maker 2. If the check box is not selected, the video is imported as a single continuous clip, rather than a series of shorter clips.'

'Clips are created in a number of different ways, depending on the video file and video source.'

'If you capture video from an analog camera or Web camera, a clip is created when there is a significant frame change.' (Emphasis mine.)

While it doesn't mention the vanilla .avi files you're dealing with, I have a feeling that the clip duration will be determined in the same way. But having never used Windows Movie Maker, I could easily be wrong.

OP
OP
B

bonj2

ah, that'll be it, cheers.
Just another thing, you know when you add text you have to use the 'add titles' feature, and choose 'on clip', is there any way of getting it to be at the bottom of the screen rather than in the middle? You seem to be able to change the horizontal alignment but not the vertical... I'd rather have it at the bottom, I'm sure I've seen that on some of your videos ARch?

Arch

Married to Night Train
bonj said:
ah, that'll be it, cheers.
Just another thing, you know when you add text you have to use the 'add titles' feature, and choose 'on clip', is there any way of getting it to be at the bottom of the screen rather than in the middle? You seem to be able to change the horizontal alignment but not the vertical... I'd rather have it at the bottom, I'm sure I've seen that on some of your videos ARch?

Funny you should say that. I thought you could too, but I think when I looked, I couldn't find out how. As far as I remember, my text is always in the middle. Except for the scrolling up credits at the end...

It might be an option in the 'animation' of the text... I'll try and have a look tonight. Typical, I don't bring my laptop in, and suddenly, I actually need it...

Arch

Married to Night Train
Right. Click on 'add title', then 'add title on clip' (or whatever the wording is). Type the words, then go down and click on 'Change title animation'. In the list of options will be 'subtitle', which does what it says - puts the words in as a subtitle at the bottom of the screen, and also 'tickertape', which scrolls them across the bottom of the screen with a coloured background (you can change the colour of the background)...

Top Bottom