Use spacers instead of changing bars?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

XmisterIS

Purveyor of fine nonsense
I've just bought a replacement set of forks for my mountain bike (I had very crap old suspension ones which I'm going to replace with rigid carbon ones).

The new forks are second-hand and, as luck would have it, the steerer is 30mm longer than my existing one. (I have a 180mm steerer, the replacement ones are 220mm).

Now I have been intending to get new handlebars with a greater rise on them, but I'm thinking that a much cheaper alternative would be to simply use a couple of 15mm spacers to raise the stem up to the end of the steerer on the new forks (instead of cutting down the steerer and getting bars with a greater rise).

Is there any reason why I shouldn't do this? Note that the total spacer depth would then be about 55mm - I already have three 5mm spacers in there.

e-rider

crappy member
most component brands state that 40mm should be the max amount of spacers. however, i've seen plenty of people use more and even some bike brand such as Thorn always use more than 40mm.

is the steerer tube carbon too?

secondhand carbon forks - I'd give them a very close inspection for cracks/damage before using them.

OP
OP
XmisterIS

XmisterIS

Purveyor of fine nonsense
most component brands state that 40mm should be the max amount of spacers. however, i've seen plenty of people use more and even some bike brand such as Thorn always use more than 40mm.

is the steerer tube carbon too?

secondhand carbon forks - I'd give them a very close inspection for cracks/damage before using them.

the steerer is aluminium.

Yep, I know what you mean about being careful about carbon forks - the seller states that he's used them for 100 miles of XC, which is nothing really. In the pics they are utterly unblemished and he states they're in perfect condition. Nevertheless, if I am suspicious about them in any way when I see them, I won't use them.

That being said, I've crashed my full-carbon road bike at speed before and it's still a good'un!

Top Bottom