Use your bank.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

gavroche

Getting old but not past it
I changed pounds into euros today at my local travel agents, Thomson and got a bad deal. Next time I will use my bank. Thomson gave me 1.02 euros per £. My bank would have given me 1.13 euros! The lesson is clear, bank next time even if you must order in advance. Only has to give 24 hours notice. If you are planning to go to good old Europe soon, order your euros at your bank.

Bromptonaut

Rohan Man
We keep a float of Euro at home and top up as/when from cash machines whilst abroad. But like at home use very little real cash now with tap and go cards etc.

Red17

Veteran
Not always. My bank, Barclays, actually advised me to go to the exchange shop in the local shopping centre as they offer better rates.

For Euros usually go to the Post Office with no need for any notice. Just walk in and get them

glasgowcyclist

Charming but somewhat feckless
I changed pounds into euros today at my local travel agents, Thomson and got a bad deal. Next time I will use my bank. Thomson gave me 1.02 euros per £. My bank would have given me 1.13 euros! The lesson is clear, bank next time even if you must order in advance. Only has to give 24 hours notice. If you are planning to go to good old Europe soon, order your euros at your bank.

The Post Office is currently offering 1.12 per £.

alicat

Legendary Member
I preload a Halifax clarity credit card and then use it like a debit card and get cash from the hole in the wall machine when I am abroad.

The rate is better than my bank and I don't get charged a conversion fee.

Top Bottom