Used Brompton

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

berlinonaut

Veteran
Aren't the front and rear calipers now identical?

Hardly a customer benefit, but it saves Brompton some inventory.
Yes they are. I do not reconize a difference in brake power to the former dual-pivots just as you say as the calipers are identical front and rear and are always black stock is more efficient for Brompton. They follow the same strategy with some other parts, simplifying parts lineup to save on inventory.

chriscross1966

Über Member
If I was considering used at 800 quid I would lash out the extra on new.

Others on here are more expert on Brompton upgrade history than me, but I don't think there has been any significant changes since 2014.

In my view, the last worthwhile upgrade was improving the weedy brakes, but that was a long time ago.
The handlebar stem, the forks, the front brakes, the rear brakes, the brake levers, the gear shifter, the bell, the handlebars, the tyres and the grips. So basically the entire front end except the wheel (which will have changed if it is a dynamo one.

berlinonaut

Veteran
Doesn't seem like a great deal - I got the M6L for £1000 brand new last year
True that it is not a great deal but to be fair: Last year is gone and was way different in prices for used or new Bromptons than this year, £1000 was a bargain and way below normal pricing (let alone list price) and the used bike on offer is a raw laquer which adds a premium on top of the bike (liked or justified or not). Still at £882 way too expensive for uk - over here it would be more or less normal, but still not a bargain.

Kell

Veteran
Looking forward to go through and read your experiences:smile: Do anyone have a tip on what to go through for new owners?

The biggest piece of advice would be to just enjoy it and use it like you would any other bike. They have their limitations, but they can be pretty swift if you're prepared to put the effort in.

It's the one thing that always surprised me when chatting to people about mine. As part of my commute, I used to have to do half a lap of Hyde Park to get to work. So I would set off earlier and do at least one and half laps to try and up my daily exercise.

Almost every time I told someone this they'd say "On a BROMPTON?"

My answer was that it is still a bike.

I'd estimate that it's probably 2-3mph slower over the same route as my road bike. I guess this would probably be true for most people.

That said:

If this is your first small-wheeled bike, or you're coming to it from a 700c bike or something with slacker geometry (mountain bike), you'll find it quite twitchy at first.

I'd not ridden mine since the beginning of lockdown. Choosing to go out on my road bike when I got the opportunity.

But I went out at the weekend on the Brompton and I'd forgotten just how 'responsive' the front end is compared to other bikes. Soon settled back into it, but it can be disconcerting at first.

Watch out for bumps, potholes, drains etc. Where a larger wheeled bike will roll over them, 16" wheels get quite a jolt over bumps.

chriscross1966

Über Member
I can echo Kell here regarding the handling... if I've been out on my Bianchi a few times the Brompton feels insanely twitchy... if I'm used to the Brompton then the Bianchi steers like a barge... yes I'm a lot quicker on the Celeste express, it's designed for it, but it has no luggage capability beyond a tool bottle (and that is full, and if it wasnt I'd buy a smaller one) and the pockets on a lycra top... and I can't just fold it up and hop on a bus, and I don't wear clothes most of the population consider "fetish" to ride the Brompton. The thing they do have in common is my unhealthy obsession with trying to colour-match everything...

u_i

Über Member
In our area we have trails going over uneven terrain, into the woods and meadows, and there our Bromptons outperform our full-size bikes. I do remember similar circumstances along canals in SW UK.

Tenkaykev

Guru
I can echo Kell here regarding the handling... if I've been out on my Bianchi a few times the Brompton feels insanely twitchy... if I'm used to the Brompton then the Bianchi steers like a barge... yes I'm a lot quicker on the Celeste express, it's designed for it, but it has no luggage capability beyond a tool bottle (and that is full, and if it wasnt I'd buy a smaller one) and the pockets on a lycra top... and I can't just fold it up and hop on a bus, and I don't wear clothes most of the population consider "fetish" to ride the Brompton. The thing they do have in common is my unhealthy obsession with trying to colour-match everything...

That's not an unhealthy obsession Chris, it's perfectly normal. I mean it takes me less than 5 minutes to swap the watch strap on my Garmin if I decide to take my other Brommie...

ExBromptonMan

I loved my H6R Brompton and regret changing to the electric version. I got one of the first electric ones and it was a disaster.... motor kept cutting out. It was returned to the factory for a new motor and controller... it was even worse... I got a full refund.
I waited 6 months and was assured the problems had been sorted. It was better but having to stop to change engine power was crazy so I sold it.
Ok, I thought, just buy a new H6R or see what’s available.... sadly there were none for sale anywhere... and Brompton wouldn’t take any new orders. One dealer quoted 8 month delivery if I was lucky!
There’s a couple of guys in London seem to be buying and Bromptons for sale nationwide and selling them for a tidy profit.
Used prices are sky high at present

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
Back to brakes, the rear brake bridge is known to rust.

Worth bearing in mind if buying used, although I'm not sure if there's any visible sign you could check.

Top Bottom