Used Brompton

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Cycler56

Hey All,

Am contemplating getting a used Brompton Raw Lacquer , that has 3 gears, rack and lights. Its about 6-7 years old. So probably the 2014 model. And it looks quite good and has been served last year. Have been getting the price down to 882 pounds.
Is this a good option?

rogerzilla

Legendary Member
Sounds expensive. I paid £350 for an M3L of similar age a few years ago. It was going to be a project but there wasn't enough wrong with it! I did sell it for £700 later with a Schmidt dynamo hub. No bargains to be had on eBay unless they're buyer collects, a long way from civilisation.

OP
OP
C

Cycler56

Sounds expensive. I paid £350 for an M3L of similar age a few years ago. It was going to be a project but there wasn't enough wrong with it! I did sell it for £700 later with a Schmidt dynamo hub. No bargains to be had on eBay unless they're buyer collects, a long way from civilisation.

Ah yeah that was indeed quite a bit cheaper. That's a good sale after the hub change too.
No your right, here is the closest one I found.
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Brompton...brand=Brompton&_trksid=p2332490.c100935.m2460

Which is at the moment around 750.
What is the most important thing to check on it compared to other bikes? Thinking other than the frame number overall. And if something physical is damaged.

OP
OP
C

Cycler56

I guess this summer most bikes are on the dear side ?
Yeah that does seem to be the case. But it seems that the Brompton is quite a good quality bike that will last. And I'm in general quite mindful of the small space I have to store a bike in.

Gunk

Guru
Hey All,

Am contemplating getting a used Brompton Raw Lacquer , that has 3 gears, rack and lights. Its about 6-7 years old. So probably the 2014 model. And it looks quite good and has been served last year. Have been getting the price down to 882 pounds.
Is this a good option?

That’s about right at the moment, used prices are up about 25% compared with last year

OP
OP
C

Cycler56

That’s about right at the moment, used prices are up about 25% compared with last year
Ah I see. I'm contemplating just getting a new one instead completely. As I guess they have made some changes too for the better? From 2014 to the current 2020.

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
Ah I see. I'm contemplating just getting a new one instead completely. As I guess they have made some changes too for the better? From 2014 to the current 2020.

If I was considering used at 800 quid I would lash out the extra on new.

Others on here are more expert on Brompton upgrade history than me, but I don't think there has been any significant changes since 2014.

In my view, the last worthwhile upgrade was improving the weedy brakes, but that was a long time ago.

rogerzilla

Legendary Member
I think they are better value new unless you do manage to get one below market value. It was the same when I bought a new one in 2009 - the saving secondhand was small and not worth the risk.

Really old ones are cheaper but are likely to need some replacement parts by now, or a rear hinge or seatpost bush replacement. Much of this is a dealer-only job nowadays as Brompton won't sell some parts to end users.

OP
OP
C

Cycler56

Your right, I see and think of it like an investment. Even though its more costly And they do seem to last a long time. Which is something I really want them too do.

OP
OP
C

Cycler56

Thank you all for your valuable comments:smile: Based on them I'll decide to go for a new one here. Which is about 1500 pounds. Its best long term to put money into something that lasts.

Looking forward to go through and read your experiences:smile: Do anyone have a tip on what to go through for new owners?

berlinonaut

Veteran
Others on here are more expert on Brompton upgrade history than me, but I don't think there has been any significant changes since 2014.
incomplete list of the more relevant changes:
-2013-
spider cranks
double wall rims
brake levers

- 2015/2016-
new rear carrier
new roller wheels

-2017-
new stems for M and S models along with new bars
underbar shifters
new bell
new grips
new rubber bung
slightly different telescopic seat post
saddle with option to take a rear light

-2018-
new brake calipers
new standard tires
new rear damper

-2019-
new lights
dynamo by SP instead of Shimano
better taper system for the stem

That's more or less it. So if the bike in question does not have the 2013 changes it would not worth thinking about. If it has them I'd still consider it to be way to expensive (for UK). Advantage of a new one depends on the model - the better dynamo, the better rack, the new stem and bars, the new rollers are clearly an advantage, but not relevant on some models. The underbar-shifters are nice to look at and work well but at least the three speed one seems to have had issues from time to time (probably due to variability in production of the parts) - possibly they are gone by now and in general I clearly prefer the new shifters over the old ones. Apart from that there have been a lot of smaller, less relevant changes that still add up and generally make the newer Brompton the better bike.
In my view, the last worthwhile upgrade was improving the weedy brakes, but that was a long time ago.
It was, but the levers which are as important were only changed in 2013, so possibly not yet on the used bike in question.

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
but the levers which are as important

Yes, I recall the new levers made a big difference, which indicated there was nothing much wrong with the older design of calipers.

Aren't the front and rear calipers now identical?

Hardly a customer benefit, but it saves Brompton some inventory.

rogerzilla

Legendary Member
The brakes have been fine since the early 90s, when they started putting a dual-pivot caliper at the front (single-pivot at the rear stayed for a while). I don't know if they've started putting a QR on the calipers yet; the lack of one is annoying when fixing a puncture. Also, the chromed steel hardware on the brakes rusts easily. But they do stop well enough.

berlinonaut

Veteran
The brakes have been fine since the early 90s, when they started putting a dual-pivot caliper at the front
Just that this was not at all in the early nineties but with the MK3 in 2000, as said countless times. :rolleyes: In the 90ies Brompton were using pretty useless brakes, first from CLB, later (for a short time) from Sachs and then the Saccon City2 that in 2000 got replaced by the dual pivot at the front and a new single pivot at the rear, both from Alhonga. The brakes before that were more or less equally useless and it is worth mentioning that the Saccon brakes survived on the entry level C3 model until it got vanished in 2007. One more reason to avoid a used C3.
(single-pivot at the rear stayed for a while).
Until about mid 2007, to be precise.
I don't know if they've started putting a QR on the calipers yet; the lack of one is annoying when fixing a puncture.
In just this case it is not in my opinion - as the tire is already flat you don't have a problem... It is when generally maintaining the bike and I agree that QRs on the brakes would be very desirable.
Also, the chromed steel hardware on the brakes rusts easily. But they do stop well enough.
Has not been an issue here, with none of my Bromptons. So has possibly something to with care for the bike.

Top Bottom