Useless at bike maintenance and repair :(

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
As I say I don't use straps I use bootlaces but am as far as I know using the same system.
(my variant puts force over a greater area of the tyre as well.
(No I'm not growing a beard/making a vid)
I used eight releasable cable ties. There was still blood pouring out from beneath my thumbnails by the time I got the last four inches to snap onto the rim.:cry:

The Zinn book of road bike maintenance is great. I've built a couple of bikes using it. Very complete.
This book
You tube,
Park Tools Web site and
Sheldon Brown's website would be my tips.

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
I used eight releasable cable ties. There was still blood pouring out from beneath my thumbnails by the time I got the last four inches to snap onto the rim.:cry:
This book
You tube,
Park Tools Web site and
Sheldon Brown's website would be my tips.
YouTube is excellent but most of the US bike shop people gabble at high speed and are hard to follow. It really helps if you stick your laptop right by the bike you are working on and repeat bits of the clip again and again.

two long bootlaces.

Start a bit past the valve with the first one - no knots needed - wrap round the tyre moving forward in a sort of spiral, securing at the end by looping the lace under itself. Then a bit of a gap, then the same with the second one, approaching the valve. While you are doing this, push the tyre down into the well as shown in the bearded one's vid. The laces keep it there.
It has never failed to work for me - used it yesterday on two marathons, one brand new.

Bike maintenance is one of those things where you really do learn by doing. We all had to start somewhere. :blush:

Four years ago, when I got back into cycling after a fairly lengthy hiatus, I would never have dreamed of building a bike from scratch, and yet here I am, with an almost complete bicycle after finally biting the bullet.

Books and youtube vids have been covered comprehensively by other posters, but one thing I'll add to that, is if you are buying tools, it really does pay to buy decent ones. Whether that's something basic like allen keys or tyre levers or something more specific like a crank remover. Good quality tools that are right for the task in hand really do make life easier.

There is a knack to fitting tyres, though there are tyres and tyres. Some are a right pain to fit, while others will roll on just using your thumbs. Also, some tyre levers are better than others. I have a set of Wilkinsons ones and a set of the yellow Decathon ones. For all that both sets cost me near enough the same, I much prefer the ones from Decathlon as they give me far better leverage.

screenman

Legendary Member
two long bootlaces.

Start a bit past the valve with the first one - no knots needed - wrap round the tyre moving forward in a sort of spiral, securing at the end by looping the lace under itself. Then a bit of a gap, then the same with the second one, approaching the valve. While you are doing this, push the tyre down into the well as shown in the bearded one's vid. The laces keep it there.
It has never failed to work for me - used it yesterday on two marathons, one brand new.

The bearded one had a valve in the way and scratched the new rim with the buckle of the strap, did not make me think he knew what he was doing.

screenman

Legendary Member
He builds (or did) wheels and designs bicycles.

He cannot fit a tyre though.

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
I would add untill you can at least change an inner tube i wouldnt ride any distance without support from friends who know how to do these things , many a time we have had riders turn up for rides and have problems due to lack of basic maintenance skills .of course we are happy to help but it helps if they at least carry the bare minimum of kit and learn how to use them .

Top Bottom