Useless at bike maintenance and repair :(

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Im quite new to cycling. I have a road bike and I am doing an audax on the 20th and I thought ill practice repairing a punctured tyre, so I got the tools-inner tube,leevers and mini pump. I watched video tutorials about it a few times. I took the wheel off and took the tyre off the rim and looked at the inner tube and then tried putting it back together and the tyre did not want to fit into the rim correctly and I tried re doing it and I just could not fix it and had to go with my tail between my legs to the bike shop the next day with my bike in pieces. I just want to get better at bike repair and maintenance but it seems I'm completely useless at it and cant follow the online tutorials well. Also the other day I was cleaning my chain with the degreaser and pulled my chain loose and had to wrestle with it for 20 minutes to fix it and I did a poor job of cleaning my bike in the end. Any tips on how to get any better at bike repair and maintenance?

DCLane

Found in the Yorkshire hills ...
It takes practice. I learnt through my work's bike workshop where basic jobs were covered there and I repeated them at home.

Also I got hold of a cheap bike to have a go on. My first attempts weren't any good but it wasn't on anything valuable; the bike had cost me £10. Tried, tried again, learnt eventually.

You'll get there. A toolkit helps - decent tyre levers, a track pump, bike toolkit, etc.

Reactions: C R

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
It takes a little bit of time, effort and learning to do bike maintenance. Bikes are simple things to work on at the end of the day and you just need the confidence and a little bit of know how.
Check your local area to see if there any bike maintenance courses happening.

Reactions: C R
Just take your time and you'll get there.

Yes online stuff can help but I reckon a good old fashioned book is best - allows you to easily check and recheck yourself as you do stuff - particularly with which way to turn whatever :smile:

Also somewhat more grease resistant.

I thoroughly recommend this:
https://www.parktool.com/product/big-blue-book-of-bicycle-repair-4th-edition-bbb-4#:~:text=Written by one of the,level mechanic and every bike.

available all over the place.

It's not flashy but is written in a simple step by step way with lots of (non flashy- black and white is fine) pics to help you on your way.

Pays for itself the first time you can avoid a trip to the bikeshop.

Any specific questions, just ask the helpful folk on here.

Sharky

Guru
Yep, just takes practice. Are you doing the Audax with friends? If they are more experienced, it would be an idea to ask then to show you. Some techniques are not entirely intuitive, so somebody showing you would a benefit.

silva

Über Member
It requires knowledge of some tricks / requirements.
It has to sit tight, making it not easy to mount/unmount.
Examples, getting the inner tyre in position is aided by a bit air in it, getting the outer tyre over the rim edge is helped by the opposite - pushing out all air, and by moving the already inside the rim wall towards the middle of the rim (where the spoke holes are), when the wheel rim diameter is there smaller than at the edges of the rim, leaving more room.
Doing things gradually also helps, it doesn't have to be done in one time, putting an outer tyre back on is as such. Push the outer tyre from both sides simultaneously towards the not yet fitted location.
Then breathe deep in and push hard on that location to get that last part over the rim edge.
Without knowing this, it has a high chance on a give up or damaged tyre(s) story end.

CXRAndy

Guru
what helps when working on a bike is the working height. If you can get a bike stand to hold the bike. Seeing the mechanisms up close rotating can be very useful for understanding. Read and watch lots of videos, start with small jobs-acquire tools nothing too expensive to work with. A set of Allen Keys is invaluable in modern cycles

screenman

Legendary Member
With regards to getting your tyres on, even the toughest, this is the god of bleedless fitting.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-XUFVrl0UT4&t=34s

Beard not vital.

I use the same system but with two Mountain Warehouse boot laces I always carry with me.

Never failed yet even with the toughest tyres.

I see problems in the video and so have others on here.

tom73

Guru
Just take your time and do one thing at a time if you needed to stop and work it out do it.
Things will come it becomes easier get what tools you need all ready and at hand. YouTube is great but can be hard to find ones you understand.
Another vote for the park tool book simple and easy to follow plus the pages are easy to clean.
Try park tool you tube channel most are by Calvin Jones he also wrote the book. Teaching others is his job so knows how to get things across. They also have a good online help page too.

Top Bottom