User requirements to a cycling water bottle

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

youngmanonfire

Hi !
It would be of great help if you would be so kind to answer the questionnaire on the link below.
The research is part of my master thesis as an engineer, about the production of sports water bottles. It takes 5-8 min.

https://forms.gle/SHDuhdXWWZhLxx2X8

Please do share the link if you know others who have experience with or could have interesting demands for at sports water bottle ! :smile:

Thanks a lot and merry Christmas !

Sharky

Guru
Done
On the last question on price, would not let me select the top radio button.

No questions on aerodynamics. As a tt rider, that would be a bonus instead of the normal round ones.

Don't think there is much scope for improving the standard bottle and fixings, but in the field or tt and triathlon and aerodynamics there could be. Particularly between tribars to block the air gap. Also tt riders don't want to change positions to drink from bottles, so straw mechanisms could be good.

Good luck and please return with your design ideas.

Ian H

Ancient randonneur
The only thing is, im not too fussed about environmental credentials because a decent, well designed bottle will last a lifetime. That potentially much better than an earth friendly one that needs replacing anew every year.
That's the unaddressed dilemma in the first set of questions. Recyclable, or made to last forever. Interestingly, there's probably more profit to be made from the former, but the latter might be more 'sustainable'.

presta

Guru
The only thing is, im not too fussed about environmental credentials because a decent, well designed bottle will last a lifetime. That potentially much better than an earth friendly one that needs replacing anew every year.
I pensioned off a set of Zefal Magnums this summer because the rubber nozzles were perished, and falling out. They date from 2002, when I bought them to replace one year old Halfords ones that had split caps. (The new ones are SIS, but the nozzles tend toward the pull your teeth out end of the spectrum.)

presta

Guru
That's the unaddressed dilemma in the first set of questions. Recyclable, or made to last forever. Interestingly, there's probably more profit to be made from the former, but the latter might be more 'sustainable'.
A consumer society is founded on consumption, so to maintain that in a saturated market you have to contrive fashions which induce people to throw away perfectly serviceable products and buy new.

Slioch

Guru
Survey done, but the questions do not cover some of my main needs. E.g.

• I like the idea of being able to get a firm grip around the bottle. Particularly in the winter when I will be wearing thick gloves. Summer needs may be different.
  • When I'm on the bike, I don't open the pop-up valve with my hands, I use my teeth. I want a valve that doesn't put my teeth at risk.
  • A water bottle that leaks is of absolutely no use whatsoever. Designing a non-leaking waterbottle is a minimum requirement.
  • Re' page 22. As you have posted this survey on a UK forum it would have been really respectful if you had quoted prices in UK Sterling rather than US Dollars. It feels as if you have just copied & paste the survey across various worldwide resources, and not taken any effort to consider geographic locations.
Good luck with your survey, and I know this is a forlorn request, but it would be great if you came back and shared the outcome with us. :hello:

Jody

Stubborn git
  • When I'm on the bike, I don't open the pop-up valve with my hands, I use my teeth. I want a valve that doesn't put my teeth at risk.
  • A water bottle that leaks is of absolutely no use whatsoever. Designing a non-leaking waterbottle is a minimum requirement
The camelbak water bottle has you covered. They are great with non drip lids, adjustable flow and no need to use your teeth. Bit more expensive but I wouldn't use a standard bottle now.

Top Bottom