using 2 styles of brakes

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

blue trice

Having just taken delivery of a new bike frame,
and its make is mentioned in the beginners section,
I have decided - for reasons only i can understand,
to have a cantilever brake on the front
and a centre pull at the back ( no funny comments please).
Centre pull - a lot of the "kids" on cycle chat will be scratching
their heaeds and asking " what c.p. brakes- there good brakes.
c.p. brakes are not on sale in a lot of shops, in the 70s we used to
talk readily about them, Mafac were rated as numero uno.
What is the opinion on 2 types of brakes

blue trice

Centre pull brakes are rubbish compared to modern dual pivots blue trice, I don't know why you'd bother. Unless you are simply being perverse, in which case I support your proposal 100%.

the local bike shop owner has v on the front canti on the back.campag seem to think you don't need as much power in the back brake so a lower performing centre pull(I'm old enough to remember them) may not be a problem.

piedwagtail91 said:
the local bike shop owner has v on the front canti on the back.campag seem to think you don't need as much power in the back brake so a lower performing centre pull(I'm old enough to remember them) may not be a problem.

I'm thinking of doing this to mine actually. It'll save a few grammes.

woohoo

Veteran
It's probably just "the good old days" thing, but I had Mafac Racer centre pull brakes on my bike when I was racing in my youth (may years ago) and I remember them as being very good. When I first restarted serious cycling in the 1990s, I remember thinking how crap the (then) modern MTB brakes were and it was only when I moved to V-brakes that I thought I was getting something as good as my old Mafacs.

Smokin Joe

Legendary Member
workers_united said:
It's probably just "the good old days" thing, but I had Mafac Racer centre pull brakes on my bike when I was racing in my youth (may years ago) and I remember them as being very good. When I first restarted serious cycling in the 1990s, I remember thinking how crap the (then) modern MTB brakes were and it was only when I moved to V-brakes that I thought I was getting something as good as my old Mafacs.
I bet if you used a set of Mafac's now you would find your memory is playing tricks on you. They were good for their day, but compared to modern dual pivots they would be frightening.

On your original point however, anything will do on the back. If it wasn't for the law I wouldn't even fit a back brake.

woohoo

Veteran
Smokin Joe said:
I bet if you used a set of Mafac's now you would find your memory is playing tricks on you. They were good for their day, but compared to modern dual pivots they would be frightening.
You could be right but then again the Mafacs had a lot less weight to stop in those days :blush: (but the Mafacs were certainly better than the GB side-pulls that I used in my even earlier days :blush: )

On your original point however, anything will do on the back. If it wasn't for the law I wouldn't even fit a back brake.
I think that was piedwagtail91's point but as for doing without a back brake completely, having had a cable break on me once, I prefer to have a backup system.

Nick1979

As a good Sheldon Brown disciple, I only use the front brake (http://www.sheldonbrown.com/brakturn.html). The rear one is purely a backup, and in this case, I guess anything will do!

Top Bottom