Using a Brompton as a home exercise bike

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

snazpizaz

Hi

Can anyone recommend or advise what i need to purchase to use my brompton bike as a home exercise bike ?

Thanks for your attention folks

s

Heltor Chasca

Out-riding the Black Dog
Could you use one of the Wahoo direct drive trainers? I have their wheel on Snap which can accommodate most wheels down to a 24” wheel. (I think!!!!!) Worth contacting them. They are very helpful.

Kell

Veteran
My turbo trainer will definitely not work.

Might get away with a 24 inch wheel, but not 16".

Having said that, I'm pretty sure I've seen a roller type that would accommodate a smaller wheel folder.

I think, having had a look at the way mine clamps onto the the QR skewer, you'd really struggle to get one on as the gear chain would be in the way. You could undo it, but then you'd only have one gear (two max).

Other than that, standard rollers would work.

12boy

Guru
Fold bike. Grasping stem and seat post, bring to chest. Hold the bike with the drive side away from your body to avoid soiling your lovely bike clothes. Squat fully then return to an erect posture. Lift Brompton above your head until arms straight but not locked. Raise up on tip toes. Return to erect posture and lower bike to chest, then repeat. If this gets too easy, hold bike with one hand and squat on only leg, with palm on wall or furniture for balance. If still too easy, fill the front bag with bricks, or for an even greater challenge, many store bought fruitcakes, due to their depleted uranium density. Do this for 20 minutes and you will feel exercised. To restore carbs and sugars and to punish yourself for your many failures as a human being, eat all the fruitcakes. No other equipment needed. If core work is needed, hook your feet under heavy furniture and do sit ups holding the Brompton. You will not need a gym membership but maybe a hospital.

OP
OP
S

snazpizaz

i'm taking it 12boy isn't a fan of exercise. Perhaps he has a history of being teased at school.... :sad:

A 20 minute ride on an upright bike targets lower back pain very well. I'm looking to do indoor riding on my h type brommie in winter months when i'll be riding far less but working over a pc / desk far more and therefore likely to experience increased episodic lower back pain common to my age group. :rolleyes:

s

Last edited:

12boy

Guru
Actually I exercise daily, and when I went to outpatient therapy 12 days after breaking my pelvis in 3 places the first thing they had me do was ride a bike. I liked it so much that when saw one at an estate sale, I picked up an old Schwinn exercycle, just like the one at therapy for $50.00. It, plus the other exercises I did at therapy and home got me back on my Brompton (yes, the bike I was riding when I broke my pelvis) in 9 weeks. I was just funning you with the exercise routine. BTW, never could get much resistance on the exercycle, once that big flywheel was spinning, but the movement was great for bringing flexibility to my legs and hips.

annedonnelly

Girl from the North Country
i'm taking it 12boy isn't a fan of exercise. Perhaps he has a history of being teased at school.... :sad:

A 20 minute ride on an upright bike targets lower back pain very well. I'm looking to do indoor riding on my h type brommie in winter months when i'll be riding far less but working over a pc / desk far more and therefore likely to experience increased episodic lower back pain common to my age group. :rolleyes:

s
If it's only a 20 minute ride you want surely you can get out in most winter weather. Unless you get a lot of snow & ice where you are.

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
I think any kind of trainer that fits a Brompton is a big ask. Not seen anything to date.
As others have said, any kind of beater-bike with a running back wheel and drive-train suitable for a qr skewer* would do the trick. Doesn’t need to be roadworthy.

*Some older turbos will take wheel nuts. I use a dilapidated old fixie on mine.

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
Now, I've never ridden on rollers, but I do know that it's a skill that needs to be learned. I also know from experience that Brompton handling is less stable than big wheel bikes so I wonder if learning to ride a B on rollers would be extra-difficult? It could be fun to find out. :smile:

Given the thriving Brompton customisation industry I'm slightly surprised that there isn't someone out there taking Tacx trainers and customising them/cutting them down to size. Would cost a mint tho.

OP
OP
S

snazpizaz

Hi - thanks folks for further infos

1. I have found this on YT:

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D_ehng4mEYs

but i cant find mention of the make anywhere online beyond the vid. :sad:

2. When i work i do a lot of desk work at home on a 5th floor apartment. I suffer from episodic lower back pain - so exercising on a bike provides really good break activity during those times - i don't want to go out - especially in winter - i lose concentration on work. :blush:

s

Top Bottom