Using a car pressure gauge on presta valves?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Geoff Crowther

"... travel far, not fast", Ted Simon
Hi all
Looking at how I keep the tyres at the right pressure on a long cycle tour.
If I buy one of these:
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/ALLOY-PUM...KE-TUBE-VALVE-ADAPTOR-NOT-BRASS-/261536370999
will I be able to use a pocket sized car tyre pressure gauge? I suspect not cos there'll be no centre pin for the gauge to press down.
Any other suggestions on how I keep pressures right or am I just worrying unnecessarily? Should I just use my thumb? BTW the bike's a Thorn Sherpa running large, 2.5" wide tyres at around 50-55psi. I use a Topeak Mountain Morph pump.
Thanks in anticipation folks.
Geoff

snorri

Legendary Member
Any other suggestions on how I keep pressures right or am I just worrying unnecessarily? Should I just use my thumb?

Yes and yes.
Inflate your tyres and check pressure with a gauge before setting off, also check with your thumbs to get an idea of the "feel" of the correct pressure.
During the tour check pressure with your thumbs at monthly intervals.
Usually bike shops are helpful when they see you are a laden tourist and will let you use their track pump which makes tyre inflation a lot easier than most bike mounted pumps.
Every time you check tyres with a gauge your tyres will lose a little air:sad:.

Last edited:

young Ed

Veteran
that's why when inflating mine i like to inflate to say 120 psi and then as i take the inflator head off it will end up 110-115 psi i reckon

as for OP, i say don't bother. i always just feel by pinching it or with my thumb; if it's rock hard it's alright! :tongue: once a month or maybe a little more often i deflate both tyres down to almost flat (leaving just enough air in so i don't get a pinch puncture) reseat tyre bead properly and reinflate to correct pressure on pump gauge. probably not needed but only takes a minute or two and gives me peace of mind TBH
Cheers Ed

Debade

Über Member
Yes and yes.
Inflate your tyres and check pressure with a gauge before setting off, also check with your thumbs to get an idea of the "feel" of the correct pressure.
During the tour check pressure with your thumbs at monthly intervals.
Usually bike shops are helpful when they see you are a laden tourist and will let you use their track pump which makes tyre inflation a lot easier than most bike mounted pumps.

This is my approach on tours and it has worked well. I know you did not ask but while tyre pressure is important, tyre type is critical for avoiding flats and tire problems.

OP
OP
Geoff Crowther

Geoff Crowther

Thanks for those helpful replies folks.
On balance, having looked at the reviews of various digital presta pressure gauges (many comment on them being fiddly to use) and reading the advice here, I've concluded I'll stick to the thumb test. I'll make a point, over the next few weeks, of checking how the tyres feel once properly inflated with my track pump, so I'm better informed about how they should feel. All this is in prep for my End to End in May, when I'll be camping and taking it very steadily, allowing the whole month.
Two years now into rediscovering cycling I still feel like a novice when it comes to technicalities like this.
As ever, I'm happy to learn from more experienced folk on here.
Many thanks to all of you.
Cheers,
Geoff

OP
OP
Geoff Crowther

Geoff Crowther

This is my approach on tours and it has worked well. I know you did not ask but while tyre pressure is important, tyre type is critical for avoiding flats and tire problems.
Yep, understood re tyre type. Some would say the Marathon Mondiales on my tourer are overkill, but they give security on difficult terrain and, allegedly, good puncture resistance.

Roadrider48

Voice of the people
I've got the HP version. Had it for 5 years. It was my only pump for a while (I didn't have a road bike then). It goes quite happily on a bottle mount. I take it on rides of > 100km, when I may have a long ride after a p*ncture.

They have improved quite a bit on my model, but it's still good.
Thanks for the description on that. I have been looking for a small pump....this may be it.

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
Schwalbe reckon it's difficult to thumb pressure test their puncture resistant tyres because the tread is too stiff due to the anti-puncture reinforcement.

All things being equal, touring with schrader valves is better because you can use a garage airline - carefully - or any other car pump/gauge you can beg or borrow.

Top Bottom