Using a smartphone for navigation and have it on the handlebars

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ade towell

Not a big fan of google maps for cycling, seems to want to send you out of your way onto canal towpaths or busy A roads most the time - have found Osmand to be pretty good for getting bike friendly routes

Globalti

Legendary Member
A friend of mine rode from Lancashire to Cornwall and back for a wedding using Google Maps. He just put in an earphone, turned off the screen, dropped the phone in a pocket and followed the voice to the next YHA or B&B. Says Maps took him along some fantastic routes.

OP
OP
S

samsbike

Guru
I think google maps works well or at least has when I have used - hence my preference to have it on the bars

pjd57

Veteran
I'm not a fan of having them on bars .
Too much of a distraction.
I usually check the route in advance if going to a specific location and write down a few pointers.
Very very occasionally , I've had to Google it and turn up the volume and stick my phone in a chest pocket and follow the voice instructions

Flachlandradler

I use Bikemap for navigating because it lets me plan routes on the app and on my computer and then just sync it. To put my phone on the handlebars, I use either the SP Connect or the Bikemap Finn, both are really stable smartphone mounts, my phone has never fallen out :smile:

Top Bottom