Using Apple Watch with Strava Beacon

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

SydZ

Über Member
Mrs SydZ is taking part in an event in a few weeks that will see her out for a number of hours and we expect a reasonably crowded finish area that we‘d like to spend minimal time in.

I am planning to let her borrow my Apple Watch 7, with cellular, so she can use Strava Beacon. That was I can see wherecshe is along the route and time things to meet her at the finish.

Has anyone used the Apple Watch for this and, if so, what battery life did you achieve? I’d prefer for there to be enough juice left in the battery at the end for SMS or a telephone call if necessary.

Joffey

Big Dosser
Sounds like a battery drainer. Maybe use 'find my Watch' instead - will barely touch the battery.

OP
OP
S

SydZ

Über Member
……. Maybe use 'find my Watch' instead ….
Unfortunately, at some point, tracking will need to be on an android phone, which doesn’t play so nice with finding Apple devices. At least that’s what I am told by Mrs Sydz as she’s the android user in the home.

If anyone finds this, and is interested, I carried out a test today. Set up Beacon today on a 5 1/2 hour hike. Didn’t turn off any watch features. When I returned home battery was at 65% so plenty left for a post event sms or call.

Last edited:
Also look at the apple air tags. Register it to your phone and leave it with her and it'll check in every time it gets near an iphone.

If it's a busy event it should be very accurate.

OP
OP
S

SydZ

Über Member
Also look at the apple air tags. Register it to your phone and leave it with her and it'll check in every time it gets near an iphone.

If it's a busy event it should be very accurate.

I’ve been trialling tracking with an airtag for about a week. They are good, especially if you put it in “lost” mode but they still have a lag and don’t play so well with android.

I’ve been trialling tracking with an airtag for about a week. They are good, especially if you put it in “lost” mode but they still have a lag and don’t play so well with android.

I didn't think they played at all with android but if you have an iphone they'd work ?

OP
OP
S

SydZ

Über Member
I didn't think they played at all with android but if you have an iphone they'd work ?

Sorry if I’ve confused things in the way I’ve written things.

Like all Apple things you need an Apple device to make the most of them. You cannot set up an airtag, or indeed detect and update location of one, on android but you can do some basic tracking if it’s local to you.

Top Bottom