Using cantilever brake levers with V brakes

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

KneesUp

Guru
I have a set of Tektro RL 340s on my bike, which are lovely and comfortable on the hoods, and have nicely shaped levers - they just feel right.

However, my wide cantilever brakes get in the way of my back pannier a bit because they stick out a bit - a problem I could solve by getting V brakes (which are allegedly easier to set up and are more effective?)

I know the cable pull is different between V brakes and cantis - although I don't know which pulls more - so what issues would I have if I kept the RL340s? I know the RL 520s aren't much, btw - I was just wondering.

Gravity Aided

Legendary Member
I believe the longer V-brake pull problem could be alleviated by a part called a "travel agent" by a company called Problem Solvers.
http://problemsolversbike.com/products/travel_agents/
br0311-390x390.png
09_problemsolvers_3-305x204.jpg

Alun

Guru
Mini vee brakes such as the Tektro 926AL need a similar cable pull to cantis, but don't leave a lot of clearance above the tyre if you're using larger tyres, and/or mudguards. I found 28mm tyres and close fitting mudguards to be about the limit. Also mini vees have to be setup close to the rim, which can be a bit of a faff to get the wheels on and off, I suppose this applies to full size vee brakes as well.

OP
OP
KneesUp

KneesUp

Guru
Thanks for all your replies - I thought I'd posted too but it mustn't have sent.

Mini Vs aren't an option as I have 26 x 1.5" tyres on, with mudguards. This means the straddle is quite high with my canti's which is perhaps why I've never felt truly convinced by them- although they are adequate (and I've not tried changing the pads yet, I'm wearing these ones out first but will get some 'good' pads when the do go)

I asked because DD has just got a new bike with V brakes on (as a road bike owner in my youth and being out of cycling for 20 years means I've never actually used V brakes) and they seem very responsive. I guess I might change to RL520s and V brakes at some point if I ever get around to it :smile:

I swapped the Suntour canti's on me and Mrs D's Thorn Sherpa's for RL520's and XT V brakes last year. Even with long'ish cable runs the lever action is quite stiff and the brakes don't work quite as well as when using mountain bike levers. With hindsight I think it would have been better to upgrade the canti's and pads.

OP
OP
KneesUp

KneesUp

Guru
I swapped the Suntour canti's on me and Mrs D's Thorn Sherpa's for RL520's and XT V brakes last year. Even with long'ish cable runs the lever action is quite stiff and the brakes don't work quite as well as when using mountain bike levers. With hindsight I think it would have been better to upgrade the canti's and pads.
That's useful to know - thank you.

Top Bottom