Using cantilever brake levers with V brakes

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

KneesUp

Guru
I have a set of Tektro RL 340s on my bike, which are lovely and comfortable on the hoods, and have nicely shaped levers - they just feel right.

However, my wide cantilever brakes get in the way of my back pannier a bit because they stick out a bit - a problem I could solve by getting V brakes (which are allegedly easier to set up and are more effective?)

I know the cable pull is different between V brakes and cantis - although I don't know which pulls more - so what issues would I have if I kept the RL340s? I know the RL 520s aren't much, btw - I was just wondering.
 

Gravity Aided

Legendary Member
Location
Land of Lincoln
I believe the longer V-brake pull problem could be alleviated by a part called a "travel agent" by a company called Problem Solvers.
http://problemsolversbike.com/products/travel_agents/
br0311-390x390.png
09_problemsolvers_3-305x204.jpg
 

Alun

Guru
Location
Liverpool
Mini vee brakes such as the Tektro 926AL need a similar cable pull to cantis, but don't leave a lot of clearance above the tyre if you're using larger tyres, and/or mudguards. I found 28mm tyres and close fitting mudguards to be about the limit. Also mini vees have to be setup close to the rim, which can be a bit of a faff to get the wheels on and off, I suppose this applies to full size vee brakes as well.
 

Drago

Legendary Member
Location
The Urban Fringe
It can be done, but Its not ideal. Travel agents or the correct levers are better, and for what levers cost there's really no excuse.
 
OP
OP
KneesUp

KneesUp

Guru
Thanks for all your replies - I thought I'd posted too but it mustn't have sent.

Mini Vs aren't an option as I have 26 x 1.5" tyres on, with mudguards. This means the straddle is quite high with my canti's which is perhaps why I've never felt truly convinced by them- although they are adequate (and I've not tried changing the pads yet, I'm wearing these ones out first but will get some 'good' pads when the do go)

I asked because DD has just got a new bike with V brakes on (as a road bike owner in my youth and being out of cycling for 20 years means I've never actually used V brakes) and they seem very responsive. I guess I might change to RL520s and V brakes at some point if I ever get around to it :smile:
 
Location
Hampshire
I swapped the Suntour canti's on me and Mrs D's Thorn Sherpa's for RL520's and XT V brakes last year. Even with long'ish cable runs the lever action is quite stiff and the brakes don't work quite as well as when using mountain bike levers. With hindsight I think it would have been better to upgrade the canti's and pads.
 
OP
OP
KneesUp

KneesUp

Guru
I swapped the Suntour canti's on me and Mrs D's Thorn Sherpa's for RL520's and XT V brakes last year. Even with long'ish cable runs the lever action is quite stiff and the brakes don't work quite as well as when using mountain bike levers. With hindsight I think it would have been better to upgrade the canti's and pads.
That's useful to know - thank you.
 
Top Bottom