Using Garmin/Strava

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Hi,

I'm not sure if this has been posted on here in the past?

During a recent 100 km sportive, my Garmin 510 shut down near Broadway so I stopped immediately to switch it back on and resumed. Having completed 100km and uploaded to Strava, I was dismayed to find I had only done 93.4 km instead of 101 km, which meant I didn't achieve the target of having spent 100 km on my seat in one go!

Having inspected my uploaded map on Strava, I noticed a straight line from the location near Broadway where my Garmin shut down and resumed a few miles prior to reaching Ebrington so it is looking like there was a black spot, which could have been the reason why my Garmin didn't resume till almost reaching Ebrington.

I'm wondering if there is a way of adding those 4 - 5 miles to my uploaded map on Strava to help make it 101 km?

Thanks

Attachments

• StravaMap.jpg
    StravaMap.jpg
    60.3 KB · Views: 80

vickster

Legendary Member
I don't think so. You can only lengthen or shorten the beginning or end of the ride afaik

This is (partly) why I run garmin and phone simultaneously

Supersuperleeds

Legendary Member
You can export the GPX and manually insert the missing gpx data using notepad and then re upload the amended gpx.

It is an absolute pig to do though as you will need the longitude and latitude of each point along the missing part (you can get this from google maps) of the route and you will need to make sure the time data is consistent, elevation and speed you can just spoof. You are talking a serious amount of work though as for 7km of data you will be talking hundreds (if not thousands) of lines of data.

It's doable but probably not worth it.

Supersuperleeds

Legendary Member
You could go re ride the bit that is missing in the file, change the time and dates in that gpx so they are consistent with the original ride and then insert that data into the original gpx file.

NorthernDave

Never used Über Member
This is (partly) why I run garmin and phone simultaneously

Me too - Garmin 810 on the bike, MapMyRide running on the phone (uses minimal battery power).
If either fails (Garmin has a few times, MMR only once, never both together - so far...) it's a simple job to export the .gpx file from one to the other.
I've noticed though that MMR gives you an extra % or 2 on the mileage though

steverob

Guru
You can export the GPX and manually insert the missing gpx data using notepad and then re upload the amended gpx.

It is an absolute pig to do though as you will need the longitude and latitude of each point along the missing part (you can get this from google maps) of the route and you will need to make sure the time data is consistent, elevation and speed you can just spoof. You are talking a serious amount of work though as for 7km of data you will be talking hundreds (if not thousands) of lines of data.

It's doable but probably not worth it.

It's easier to do that with RouteConverter (http://www.routeconverter.de/webstart/en) rather than with Notepad. It will still take a bit of time but probably only 20-30 minutes.

Just tell it to add a point to the map in the gap between the two parts of the ride and it will automatically insert it right in the middle and fetch the correct elevation. If that point isn't on the road, you can then drag it in the map view to the nearest point where you think it should be and it will also estimate the time it thinks you should have got there based on the rest of your ride. Then all(!) you need to do is keep on adding new points between these new points (and moving them) until you've got one for say, every ten seconds or so - that should give you a good enough line to get your distance correct.

I've done it before for a missing section - admittedly not as much as 7km worth, but still the theory is the same. Also used it a few times to correct a GPS failure when out running, where my watch (less reliable than my bike Garmin for some reason) had me suddenly jumping about 200m to my left for about 2 minutes - as though I was running through people's back gardens instead of along the road!

With a GPS, if for some reason it shuts down, when you restart you should wait until it has locked on to sufficient signals to get a useable reading before moving on. If you just switch on and move off before it has got a lock, it will take it much longer to get a lock.

Jason

Run Strava on a fully charged smartphone as a backup to Garmin device.
Garmin should be switched a few mins before setting off,even inside the house,and it gets a lock very quickly.
On those days where I switch it on,whilst already rolling, it has problems.

gavroche

Getting old but not past it
For all it is worth, my Garmin 200 has stopped recording any information on the Garmin site on my laptop since December 31st 2016. The unit itself is still working well though.