Using Garmin/Strava

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I've had more issues with my Garmin than I've had hot dinners. The latest hissy fit was on Saturday's long ride. It shut down for no good reason, twice. This corrupted the .fit file, and now it won't sync until I delete the corrupted file. I record all rides I need the route for, on my phone and my Garmin. They rarely ( if ever ) both fail at the same time, so it pretty much guarantees that I'll have the full route, one way or another.

There used to be a Strava polishing app if it still exists it claimed to snap that straight section to the road.

I had my first bizarre moment with my current garmin on Thursday night. It kept on losing satellites during my short warm up and lost it altogether for my TT. Reset it and its recorded the 3 rides since no problem

OP
OP
Tazmanian Devil

Tazmanian Devil

Regular
There used to be a Strava polishing app if it still exists it claimed to snap that straight section to the road.

I had my first bizarre moment with my current garmin on Thursday night. It kept on losing satellites during my short warm up and lost it altogether for my TT. Reset it and its recorded the 3 rides since no problem

I've just had a look, no "Strava Polishing" but have found "Strava favourite segment viewer and tracker" but this appears to be selecting your favourite segments...

OP
OP
Tazmanian Devil

Tazmanian Devil

Regular
It's easier to do that with RouteConverter (http://www.routeconverter.de/webstart/en) rather than with Notepad. It will still take a bit of time but probably only 20-30 minutes.

Just tell it to add a point to the map in the gap between the two parts of the ride and it will automatically insert it right in the middle and fetch the correct elevation. If that point isn't on the road, you can then drag it in the map view to the nearest point where you think it should be and it will also estimate the time it thinks you should have got there based on the rest of your ride. Then all(!) you need to do is keep on adding new points between these new points (and moving them) until you've got one for say, every ten seconds or so - that should give you a good enough line to get your distance correct.

I've done it before for a missing section - admittedly not as much as 7km worth, but still the theory is the same. Also used it a few times to correct a GPS failure when out running, where my watch (less reliable than my bike Garmin for some reason) had me suddenly jumping about 200m to my left for about 2 minutes - as though I was running through people's back gardens instead of along the road!

Will this RouteConverter enable me to correct my map on Strava?

Just realised that this will not work on an Apple MacBook.

steverob

Guru
Will this RouteConverter enable me to correct my map on Strava?

Just realised that this will not work on an Apple MacBook.
You would have to export it from Strava as a GPX file, then edit this in RouteConverter. Before uploading the altered GPX file, you'd have to delete the original from Strava as otherwise it would reject it as a duplicate ride.

As RouteConverter needs Java to run, not sure whether it would work on a Mac or not - I've only ever tried it in Windows.

There used to be a tool called SNAP on Raceshape.com that would automatically "fix" your rides to the nearest road if your GPS decided to go on a wander, but I think that site might have been decommisioned. Can't seem to find it any more - last time I used it was almost a year ago to be honest.