using the hanging bike racks on the new GW trains

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
Florencepeneice

Florencepeneice

Let us know how you get on

Low Gear Guy

Veteran
I have a GWR reservation for later in the month. The ticket does not indicate which of the two bike areas to use. How do I know which coach to go to?

deptfordmarmoset

Full time tea drinker
Let us know how you get on
I was lucky, a guard arrived just after I'd removed the 2 buggies from the bike area and he helped me get the bike up and then played buggy Tetris to clear the aisle. It's in here somewhere....
IMG_20190808_123038412.jpg

swansonj

Guru
To remove the bike from the hook, you need to raise the whole bike slightly (to clear the hook from the spokes), twiddle the rim/spoke gap off the curve of the hook, whilst stopping the steering from flopping over and thereby scuppering your attempt at step 2. It requires three hands.

I found my wife's bike (10 kg, 32 mm tyres) not too bad but my bike (15 kg, 38mm tyres, so a tighter fit on the hook) a real struggle. I was seriously concerned that I'd find I had dented the rim.

If the lobby fills up with passengers in advance of the station, you won't be able to start the process of extraction till they have got off, by when the train is ready to depart. I was very pleased there were two of us and my wife could keep the door open as long as I needed. Another time I'm start extracting 15 mins before the stop, take possession of the lobby, and brave all the consequential pissed off passengers.

swansonj

Guru
I have a GWR reservation for later in the month. The ticket does not indicate which of the two bike areas to use. How do I know which coach to go to?
In my one experience, the bike reservations are not specific to a coach. You take pot luck on the end of the train you have chosen being occupied already.

BrumJim

Forum Stalwart (won't take the hint and leave...)
Had great fun travelling first class (super-cheap ticket) with a bike on Virgin Pendolinos. The bike is at the other end of the train to my seat. Left 10 minutes before my station to get to the bike, but still only managed to get half way before giving up, due to passengers congregating in the vestibules, then isles up to the vestibules. A few comments along the lines of "we are all waiting to get off", and "why didn't you sit nearer your bike?".

Thought it wouldn't be worth it trying to answer latter question.

mudsticks

Obviously an Aubergine
In my one experience, the bike reservations are not specific to a coach. You take pot luck on the end of the train you have chosen being occupied already.

And so you must lurk mid platform until the train comes, and then make a dash for it with your fully loaded bike to the correct end of the platform, through the throngs of trolley toters.

Sometimes the guard will let you load your bike with your bags attached but then sometimes, if they're having a 'jobsworth' day they' ll decide not to.

Hanging a bike in its skinny wardrobe whilst the train is moving, is a proper lark.

Then occasionally, the guard won't let you off with your bike, at the required stop, so you get unscheduled visits to other countries

It's all part of the character building experience, of being a train and cycle enthusiast.

Had great fun travelling first class (super-cheap ticket) with a bike on Virgin Pendolinos. The bike is at the other end of the train to my seat. Left 10 minutes before my station to get to the bike, but still only managed to get half way before giving up, due to passengers congregating in the vestibules, then isles up to the vestibules. A few comments along the lines of "we are all waiting to get off", and "why didn't you sit nearer your bike?".

Thought it wouldn't be worth it trying to answer latter question.

I had the exact same problem ( but on SW railways last weekend)

C51CF3BC-1FB6-4702-968D-CFDCA3B6B56E.jpeg

Fancy pants 1st class seat ( again, a cheap deal ) bike at the other end of the train. When I tried to get off, the vestibules were rammed. Fortunately I was getting off at the last stop / terminal. So I just got off via the doors in the first class carriage, and walked down the platform to the bike carriage ( where there were 6 people with bikes, in a space for 3 bikes):banghead::gun::evil:

tom73

Guru
Transpennie changed from 24 hour notice to just text , tweet to book a place unto 15 mins before. Great we thought until we tried they never replied till the next day :wacko: lucky the guard was great and check no bikes on already and all sorted.

Top Bottom