using turbo trainer

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

gasinayr

Über Member
just a query as to how people use their trainers
after using trainer for a few days / weeks, do you
a
keep the friction and time the same
b
tighten the friction and keep the the time the same
c
keep the friction the same and increase the time on bike
d
tighten the friction and increase the time on bike

I would think most people on this forum are using Smart trainers or at least remotely controllable trainers ( mines a remote control) and the "friction" is varied to make it fit the training programe you are following. I follow Xert which gives me targets for power and cadence so I am changing "friction" on the fly to comply with my targets. Do you have a programe to follow or do you have your own made up heart rate, cadence or power targets?
Jumping on a trainer and spinning away will have some benefits but following a plan conentrates the mind and gives you something to aim for. Also training on the turbo at a constant rate with no target in mind is very very boring.

BurningLegs

Veteran
Hi @gasinayr - it sounds like you're asking whether it is better to increase the intensity or the duration of their exercise?

I suppose the answer (as is often the case) is mostly "it depends" but also "increase both, but not at the same time"

What training are you doing at the moment, why do you use the turbo (e.g training for something specific, recovering from injury, general fitness etc), and do you have any goals (e.g target events in the real world, weight loss, etc)

OP
OP
gasinayr

gasinayr

Über Member
Hi @gasinayr - it sounds like you're asking whether it is better to increase the intensity or the duration of their exercise?

I suppose the answer (as is often the case) is mostly "it depends" but also "increase both, but not at the same time"

What training are you doing at the moment, why do you use the turbo (e.g training for something specific, recovering from injury, general fitness etc), and do you have any goals (e.g target events in the real world, weight loss, etc)
just a basic trainer with 8 settings
Using trainer to get back to some level of fitness after being treated for cancer for the past two years
have still got two months treatment to go, so want a bit of a start before i get back on the road, nothing else.

Sharky

Guru
What sort of trainer? Mine is a very non-smart trainer, which doesn't get used very much, but is one which a normal bike is just clamped onto the trainer. I just change up to a higher gear to increase resistance, but too high and the cadence becomes a bit "chunky". Better to keep a smooth running cadence and try and increase cadence. Never go much beyond 20 minutes. Has been very useful following injuries, before getting back out on the road.

BurningLegs

Veteran
Well done for getting back on the bike, and good luck with the rest of your treatment :smile:

I'd suggest you do whatever "feels right" for you and to do what you enjoy, to be honest.

If you enjoy getting a sweat on and pushing hard then increase intensity and do that. If you enjoy listening to a podcast, watching videos etc for a while at lower intensity then do that.

Fantastic for getting back to it during treatment. Smart trainer and Rouvy user here (Kickr and Climb). As others have said, do what feels right for you. If its a 'dumb trainer' then intervals might be a way forward. With my set up I can go two hrs+ in the garage.

CXRAndy

Guru
just a query as to how people use their trainers
after using trainer for a few days / weeks, do you
a
keep the friction and time the same
b
tighten the friction and keep the the time the same
c
keep the friction the same and increase the time on bike
d
tighten the friction and increase the time on bike

Sorry I don't know anyone (apart from yourself) who use a friction turbo.

I use a Tacx Neo 2-smart trainer.

I know they are expensive- but they do completely bring a new level of interaction whilst training or my current preference racing on Zwift.

I'll link you to a couple of posts where a chap has upgraded his turbo to a high quality model

Post in thread 'Zwift, Bkool splitter chat :smile:' https://www.cyclechat.net/threads/zwift-bkool-splitter-chat.215190/post-6756052

Post in thread 'Zwift, Bkool splitter chat :smile:' https://www.cyclechat.net/threads/zwift-bkool-splitter-chat.215190/post-6756265

Edit. Sorry didn't see your current situation from later posts

Last edited:

Mattk50

MattK50
I just ride the same rouvy routes all the time at the moment. When I feel fitter then I can progress onto a harder time trial AR route but then when I feel 'overweight' like now after two weeks of stuffing my face in Sicily then I drop to an easier route. Not sure I'm committed enough for a structured programme really. Managed an hour this morning on a route that normally I finish at 1 hour 10 mins but was just too hot and I was too 'unfit'.

I'm sure the OP has it sorted now but there's an optimum pressure to get the roller working correctly on the tyre. Any more and you'll destroy the tyre fairly quickly. Any less and you'll be skipping on the roller.

Keep the pressure the same - there's a rolldown test so get up to say 20mph and stop pedalling and time how long it takes the wheel to stop. Try and keep it about the same once you are happy.

There's plenty of turbo sessions to look into - as you get fitter you can go faster for longer. Good luck with it all.

postman

Legendary Member
During covid lockdown when you could not go out of your region.Unless you were going to a party with Boris or going to Barnard Castle for your eyes testing.I set up a laptop on a table infront of the front wheel.i fastened a cheap cycle computer to the back wheel.Placed a paper map under the computer and then did a ride.Day one twelve miles Meanwood to Wetherby.Day two fifteen miles Wetherby to York.Day three York to Stamford Bridge.And so on.Then to make it more interesting i put a training video on from youtube and when they put some effort in so did i.It was great fun.

Top Bottom