Usual forum help on cats.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
Milzy

Milzy

Guru
No, that's absolute poppycock.

A *reputable* breeder will invite prospective buyers into their home to see the kittens with mum, and, if they own the stud, to meet dad as well. Usually this will involve more than one meeting, and it's a two way process, with both buyer and breeder getting to know each other. The breeder will assess how the buyer interacts with the cats in the house (and how the cats react to them) and then a decision will be made as to whether to proceed or not. Sometimes gut feeling comes into it as well.

A similar process happens with particularly the smaller rescues, and certainly with our branch (Ely & District) of Cats protection.

However, neither the breeder nor the fosterer has any say in what an owner then decides to do once the moneys have been paid and the paperwork has been filled in.

I know, we’ve bought pedigrees before. This reputable South Yorkshire breeder was unhinged.
1679090216278.png

I wouldn't call that unhinged. Some are simply more cautious than others.

OP
OP
Milzy

Milzy

Guru
I wouldn't call that unhinged. Some are simply more cautious than others.

Cautious. Judging a book by its cover. Discrimination more like. If we actually phoned up and met her at her house it would be a completely different story.

Cautious. Judging a book by its cover. Discrimination more like. If we actually phoned up and met her at her house it would be a completely different story.

Breeders regularly get messed around with some pretty weird sh*t when it comes to kitten enquiries. Part and parcel of it, unfortunately, going by what I hear from my breeder friends. Caution comes with the territory when it comes to vetting prospective owners, especially when they've been burned in the past.

And yes, kittens are inquisitive and reckless little sods, regardless of whether they are pedigree or not. Not someone I knew personally, but there was one particular Siamese breeder a few years back who used to vet prospective owners by gauging their reaction to the kittens climbing her rather expensive made-to-measure curtains...

When you, as a breeder, have invested time and money and care into a litter of kittens, it's only natural that you want the very best for them.

OP
OP
Milzy

Milzy

Guru
Breeders regularly get messed around with some pretty weird sh*t when it comes to kitten enquiries. Part and parcel of it, unfortunately, going by what I hear from my breeder friends. Caution comes with the territory when it comes to vetting prospective owners, especially when they've been burned in the past.

And yes, kittens are inquisitive and reckless little sods, regardless of whether they are pedigree or not. Not someone I knew personally, but there was one particular Siamese breeder a few years back who used to vet prospective owners by gauging their reaction to the kittens climbing her rather expensive made-to-measure curtains...

When you, as a breeder, have invested time and money and care into a litter of kittens, it's only natural that you want the very best for them.

I know what you’re saying, they were in a rough part of South Yorkshire. Our area and house is better. We are in our 40’s. I showed her pictures of my daughter cuddling our Bengal. Then, I’m not selling to you. If it was my wife messaging maybe it would have been different? Maybe a man hater I don’t know but I was judged to be bad. If it was through emails alone it could have been different. We shouldn’t judge books by their covers but we do sometimes. Not to worry though, a local family has recommended someone.

A *reputable* breeder will invite prospective buyers into their home to see the kittens with mum, and, if they own the stud, to meet dad as well. Usually this will involve more than one meeting, and it's a two way process, with both buyer and breeder getting to know each other. The breeder will assess how the buyer interacts with the cats in the house (and how the cats react to them) and then a decision will be made as to whether to proceed or not. Sometimes gut feeling comes into it as well.
That is EXACTLY what happened when I went to buy one Persian - but ended up with two!
I didn't even know that a second one FOC was in the offing until a day or so after I'd got home from my first visit to the litter and their mother, when they were too young to leave anyway. When I was invited back for the second time, I was introduced to my 'free gift' kitten - the one with the birth injuries - after I'd selected Patches ...
Aww, even after all these years I can clearly remember meeting the little bundle of fluff and her one eye peeping out at me. Don't get me wrong, I loved Patches dearly - for a Persian she was very bright, active and independent (she wasn't a modern, flat-faced Persian but rather more of the old-fashioned type) although she was a lap-cat, but there was definitely something very special about One-Lamp Lucy ...

That is EXACTLY what happened when I went to buy one Persian - but ended up with two!
I didn't even know that a second one FOC was in the offing until a day or so after I'd got home from my first visit to the litter and their mother, when they were too young to leave anyway. When I was invited back for the second time, I was introduced to my 'free gift' kitten - the one with the birth injuries - after I'd selected Patches ...
Aww, even after all these years I can clearly remember meeting the little bundle of fluff and her one eye peeping out at me. Don't get me wrong, I loved Patches dearly - for a Persian she was very bright, active and independent (she wasn't a modern, flat-faced Persian but rather more of the old-fashioned type) although she was a lap-cat, but there was definitely something very special about One-Lamp Lucy ...

C'mon, you do know we need pics! :smile:

This was many, many years and several moves ago - some intercontinental - sorry. No pics remaining. Patches was blue, cream and white (dilute tortie and white) and One Lamp Lucy, cream.

Ah, that's a shame...

I do love torties in their many varieties (am currently owned by a shorthaired black tortie), and selfs are lovely too - have had black and blue in the past, and the half of me that isn't owned by above tortie is owned by a shorthaired blue & white. :wub:

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Nice. I had a Persian with inflat face. He got very bad cat flu but survived and lived until 22.

Our Leo rescue has/carries cat flu. We got him when two of the raggies were 'due' - vaccinated ASAP, and another raggie a year later, and no issues. Leo has been in fine fettle since and is 6 later this year.

Top Bottom