Utility supplier gone bust.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I get it, you don't trust smart meters, you just don't know why 🤷‍♂️
chill - if you want an argument/victory/want to air punch the sky, head over to NACAs.

OP
OP
Venod

Venod

Eh up
I too don't understand the fear of smart meters, my mate is avoiding having them, he hasn't got a rational explanation why, we have them, you can still take your own readings, I had to submit readings via the internet to Avro as they were not geared up to use them.

JtB

Prepare a way for the Lord
Years ago I was offered a SMETS1 smart meter which I refused because they tended to stop sending automated readings once you changed suppliers. If I was offered a SMETS2 smart meter today I wouldn’t refuse, but I wouldn’t go specifically requesting one. I have nothing against them, but I have no problems submitting meter readings via the internet either. Also, being able to view my energy usage real time on my mobile phone would have a short lived novelty factor that would not impact the energy usage in my home.

icowden

Veteran
I do not embrace ALL tech just for the sake of it - it's there to be used appropriately and according to need. This strikes me as an entirely sensible and reasonable position. Some tech I use, others not - a fair old chance that I was sending data messages and docs remotely well before you realised it was possible - definitely well before the vast vast majority of the population.
By reading my own meter i create a nice simple non-tech buffer between myself and potential hassle.

OK, fair enough. Here are some of the positives:-
  • No more meter readings.
  • Much more information about your energy consumption
  • You can take advantage of Tariffs where you pay for the energy you are using at the time.
  • Much easier for providers to advise you about your energy use
Here are some of the negatives:-
  • The first round of smart meters were rubbish, but you can't get those any more anyway.
  • That's it
For me, it was a no brainer. No suddenly discovering I had a back payment to make on energy as my meter hadn't been read for some time and my energy use had been much higher than the company guessed. Then, with Bulb I pay for energy at the cost it was at the time. Yes it means I can get a bit shafted when the price of Gas goes through the roof, but it also means that my price drops instantly once the cost of Gas and Electric drops.

I don't see how having to read your own meter and the company guessing your energy consumption is less hassle. For me, it is less hassle.

icowden

Veteran
Also, being able to view my energy usage real time on my mobile phone would have a short lived novelty factor that would not impact the energy usage in my home.

This I agree with. My smart meter thingummy that shows energy consumption hasn't been plugged in for some time! I like the meters though.

Mike_P

Guru
The first lot of meters are still being installed, that's the pile of junk Shell Energy have fitted, now they are claiming there will be a firmware upgrade in December will fix everything and make them SMETS2 compliant. Still does not explain why they assured me they were fitting SMETS2 ones nor how they are going to update them when they now say they have lost communication with them nor do they consider the meters to be faulty:cursing:

dodgy

• You can take advantage of Tariffs where you pay for the energy you are using at the time.
  • The first round of smart meters were rubbish, but you can't get those any more anyway.
  • That's it
For me, it was a no brainer. No suddenly discovering I had a back payment to make on energy as my meter hadn't been read for some time and my energy use had been much higher than the company guessed. Then, with Bulb I pay for energy at the cost it was at the time. Yes it means I can get a bit shafted when the price of Gas goes through the roof, but it also means that my price drops instantly once the cost of Gas and Electric drops.

I don't see how having to read your own meter and the company guessing your energy consumption is less hassle. For me, it is less hassle.

And with Octopus, they have an API that 3rd party software can poll to do all kind of creative things with your usage info. I found some errant use in my house that I probably wouldn't have discovered without the online graphs and bar charts that Octopus provide.

Last edited:
The first lot of meters are still being installed, that's the pile of junk Shell Energy have fitted, now they are claiming there will be a firmware upgrade in December will fix everything and make them SMETS2 compliant. Still does not explain why they assured me they were fitting SMETS2 ones nor how they are going to update them when they now say they have lost communication with them nor do they consider the meters to be faulty:cursing:
another bunch to avoid then - thanks.

• That's it

thanks for the sober to the point reply.

This is the only one that would really swing me at the moment:
though am not on such a tariff

In theory it is possible for electric cost to drop a lot overnight - even to the point where they will pay you to use it

This is especially useful if you have an electric car - you can charge it up overnight when the costs is dynamically dropped
But this can only work with a fully functioning smart meter

That is the theory

Of course, it also gives the energy company more control - they could potentially cut you off via the smart meter - or so I have seen people say so make your own mind up
And it is a bit like a supermarket loyalty card - it gives them far more specific information about how and when you use electricity which they can use - or sell potentially
and if this is stored and their central database are hacked - then this data could be compromised

midlife

Guru
I'm sure the government strategy on the environment / climate announced last week was to make smart meters mandatory?

dodgy

and if this is stored and their central database are hacked - then this data could be compromised
Got any theories about worst case scenarios if that information was released?

Here's mine from yesterday.
1635009010510.png

Top Bottom