'Utility'/touring forks with caliper brake mount, for road bike

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Having changed jobs out of London a few years ago, my cycling needs have changed and my one-time commuter road bike needs to change with them.* I'm intending to use it for traditional touring (pannier-style), so...
Is anyone aware of 700C forks that both (a) are compatible with caliper brakes - presumably there's more to it than just having a hole drilled in the crown, and (b) offer eyelets for mounting a front pannier rack or other load? I'm not overly precious about material, but since the bike frame is aluminium, presumably either steel or carbon would be ideal to soak up vibration.
* I'm still commuting at least partly by bike, but have switched to a Brompton or Dutch-style bike depending on the day.

Cycleops

Legendary Member
Either would be okay but have considered using a fork that has bosses for V brakes? Caliper brakes aren't that effective especially when carrying a load. Just might look a bit odd with a caliper on the back.

OP
OP
countertony

countertony

Über Member
Either would be okay but have considered using a fork that has bosses for V brakes? [...]
Yeah - I've no fundamental objection to them, and they are a lot more of a 'solved problem' (ditto discs, hence I didn';t include them either). I'd still like to explore the caliper option though, as being a slow guy in the flatlands of East Anglia I'm well within their stopping capabilities, and there is something to be said for the Aesthetic (TM).

Caliper brakes aren't that effective
Eh wot? The 105s on the Scott are the best brakes I've ever used, of any type. Even the rear gives tremendous stopping power. Would that my Vs and cantis were nearly so good! Good calipers, good blocks, good wheel surfaces = good brakes. The one set of hydraulic discs I've had were as good, but no better.

T4tomo

Legendary Member
Eh wot? The 105s on the Scott are the best brakes I've ever used, of any type. Even the rear gives tremendous stopping power. Would that my Vs and cantis were nearly so good! Good calipers, good blocks, good wheel surfaces = good brakes. The one set of hydraulic discs I've had were as good, but no better.

Indeed he doesn't have come out with some drivel at times..

andrew_s

Legendary Member
@All uphill - had a look at https://www.spacycles.co.uk/m21b0s29p0/Forks/Forks - there are a few with holed drilled "for lights", but https://www.spacycles.co.uk/m21b0s29p3677/SPA-CYCLES-Steel-Road-Fork looks like the only one that has both the bosses and implied support for calliper breaks. Still good though, so thanks!

It does take caliper brakes.

It says the drop is 54 mm, and many groupset dual pivots are limited to 49 mm, so you'll need (if you haven't got) what Shimano call "deep drop" 57 mm brakes like these: https://www.sjscycles.co.uk/brakes/front-shimano-brr451-deep-drop-caliper-brake-silver/.
Your tyres will probably be limited to 28 mm

Note that you should check the offset and axle-crown distance on your current fork. If they are significantly different from the replacement fork, the handling of the bike will change. It it does, you'll probably get used to it after a bit, but you may not.

Top Bottom