UV Arm sleeves...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

tom73

Guru
Spotted someone out riding with a pair. Thought maybe worth a go beats sun burn

So anyone use them ? Are they worth it?

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
Yes got some recently as I suffer badly when high UV levels / hot sunny days. Mine are SPF 40+ and if you are really hot you can soak them in water to help cool yourself. Take up next to no space when not wearing them.

They are called arm coolers.

Heltor Chasca

Out-riding the Black Dog
I have quite dark skin which is resilient and I work outside, but I absolutely insist on covering up. I have white Planet X jobbies which work well. Even better wet.

I have been burned much worse here in the UK than I ever did in over 2 decades in Africa.

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
Interesting. One of the things I dislike about summer cycling is horrible sticky sunblock getting everywhere. Any chance to reduce the amount of the stuff would be welcome.

But don't they just act as arm warmers?

OP
OP
tom73

tom73

Guru
I thought that too but as I understand they are very light weight , breathable not like a normal arm warmer.
Current users may know more and how they don't keep you warm.

Absolute nonsense... I have been horribly burned on several occasions in the UK with less than 3 hours of midday sun exposure. I'm talking multiple huge pus-weeping blisters and skin flaking off all over the place!

It depends on the person. If you’re blue skinned, it’s going to be different, but the majority of people don’t need to go for the very high protection stuff, in this country, on account of the incident angles / power of the sun’s rays and the position of the U.K. on the planet. If you go further south, the incident power of the sun’s rays is higher ( about 30-40 percent in Spain) for just one example.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
It depends on the person. If you’re blue skinned, it’s going to be different, but the majority of people don’t need to go for the very high protection stuff, in this country, on account of the incident angles / power of the sun’s rays and the position of the U.K. on the planet. If you go further south, the incident power of the sun’s rays is higher ( about 30-40 percent in Spain) for just one example.
My mum was a Scottish redhead and I must have inherited her sensitive skin. My dad was the opposite - on a sunny Sunday afternoon, he'd take his shirt off, spend a few hours pottering about in the garden without sun protection, and eventually come back into the house with the beginnings of a good tan. (Mind you, it looked to me like he was in the early stages of skin cancer when he died in his 80s. He developed multiple dark lesions on his head, neck and shoulders.)

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
I cover up with that factor 50 emulsion paint stuff, which gets everywhere. Last weekend I managed to miss a big patch of my right calf muscle. Owwwwww.

Top Bottom