Vélo Essex

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

jiberjaber

Veteran
Less than 3 miles from me, but that's half the problem, it's all familiar roads :smile: It would make a nice birthday prezzie but I think I might be elsewhere sunnier with my bike.

Drago

Legendary Member
I marshalled at the Velo Midlands last year. One marshal seriously insured when he was run over by a motorist who didn't think a lawful road closure applied to him, another motorist prosecuted for ignoring the road closure order, and grossly mis reported in the press, with hysterical reporting of roads having been closed for 10 hours (the longest any stretch was closed was about 4hrs 45mins).

It's a shame, but while the general public at large are so anti and behave so dangerously I will neither marshal nor ride in one again.

Thedane

Regular
I pre-registered for this event but when the sign up details and price were published I decided not to do it. £79 +6% admin charge is more than I am prepared to pay to ride what I see as an uninspiring route. Only reason I was tempted was the closed roads as I did do Velo Wales the first year they ran that and enjoyed the experience.
Good luck to the organisers though, I fear that they will have some challenges once the wider local population finds out about the event!

cm2mackem

Über Member
Not been any mention in the local papers yet, I'm sure the organisers will have a have a lot of opposition from the locals judging by some of the abuse we get Saturday and Sunday

jiberjaber

Veteran
Not been any mention in the local papers yet, I'm sure the organisers will have a have a lot of opposition from the locals judging by some of the abuse we get Saturday and Sunday
It's been in a few of the online ones (Braintree & Witham Times iirc) but yes, the usual anti-cyclist bingo and uproar over a couple of hours closed roads in a bit of the town on a Sunday.

Milkfloat

An Peanut
Velo Birmingham has just been shut down with no refunds given at all.

Milkfloat

An Peanut
Essex, they had the cheek to charge me a £24 cancellation fee, never again
Strange they had the funds to part refund Essex but not Midlands. I guess they ring fenced each event. It does not stop them being total bastards though, but it does stick in my throat that they could be walking away with everyone’s money.

Top Bottom