V brake boots

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Mugshot

Cracking a solo.
I've been having a problem with my V brakes not going back to where they should be after use. The bike is heavy enough that introducing binding brakes to the mix really isn't called for. Anyway I stripped them down on Sunday and cleaned and greased them up and had a bit of a play with the tensions too. However, they're better but still not right, now I can have a further play with the tensions if that's what's needed but I did wonder if it may be that both boots have perished and if the extra little push that they would have given is where things are going a wrong. Anybody know?

OP
OP
Mugshot

Mugshot

Cracking a solo.
If you are down to relying on the boots to release the pads, things are not right.
If you detach the cables do the arms move back cleanly? Similarly, do the cables go back pulled by the levers alone?
I thought that was probably the case but also thought it was worth checking. Everything is nice and free and easy now it's all been greased and cleaned.

Quite often if the pads are worn too low it will take the brake beyond where it functions well, new pads often cure a badly performing brake.

When you say tension, you mean the screw balancers or the spring holes. Moving the spring holes to the highest tension might help. Also you can lube your cables or replace them and the brake noodles.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Mugshot

Mugshot

Cracking a solo.
New brake pads fitted yesterday too. The tension I was talking about was the spring holes, I've still got a fair bit to muck about with on the screw tensioners. I suspect its a case of some extra fettling but I wanted to rule out the possibility that it may have been the lack boots.

Top Bottom