V brake lever knurled nut - any point?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
Blue Hills
don't ever attempt to tighten either the silver adjuster or the black picking ring beyond what you can achieve with moderate pressure between finger and thumb. They are only in aluminium, if you abuse them they break. Forcing it will not create new threads. When this happens you have to move the cable clamp point.
haven't bust any threads fortunately - i take the point about the clamping, will revise my install procedure - I tend to install brakes tight and then back them off.

Must admit I do still wonder if they stop the adjuster moving - they definitely do sacrifice a bit of thread adjustability.

Last edited:

Ajax Bay

Guru
i take the point about the clamping, will revise my install procedure - I tend to install brakes tight and then back them off.
Must admit I do still wonder if they stop the adjuster moving - they definitely do sacrifice a bit of thread adjustability.
The key point @battered makes is to wind the adjuster knurly thing most of the way out (not too far) before "installing brakes tight".
Wonder ye not. They do stop the adjuster moving: that's why it's called a 'lock' nut. A "sacrifice" well worth making, by design, proven on many millions of brake levers.

OP
OP
Blue Hills
The key point @battered makes is to wind the adjuster knurly thing most of the way out (not too far) before "installing brakes tight".
Wonder ye not. They do stop the adjuster moving: that's why it's called a 'lock' nut. A "sacrifice" well worth making, by design, proven on many millions of brake levers.
Ta, as i said i do wind the adjuster out on install - clearly not been doing it enough

Andy_R

Hard of hearing..I said Herd of Herring..oh FFS..
Way back when Adam were a lad, I was taught to wind the adjuster half way out before setting the brakes firmly against the rim, pulling the cable tight, and then clamping it. Then gradually back the adjuster off until the wheel spins freely with no rubs.

Top Bottom