V brake pads dont fit

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
My guess is that you or someone has adjusted the cable as your blocks have worn down.

Now with extra rubber on it you need to slacken the cable.

si_c

Guru
Washers are not on properly, as noted above you have them all inside the arms of the caliper, only some of them should be - check the diagram on the first page to see how it should be set up.

figbat

Slippery scientist
So, first of all you need to get it all back to a starting setup, in other words undo any adjustments that have been done to compensate for the wear of the old pads. Your brake levers should have an adjuster on them like this:
1616422378903.png

You need to set them up like the picture above - screwed right into the lever body. Loosen the lockring (the bit nearest the body) first, then screw the adjuster into the body. Retighten the lockring.

Then you need to fit the pads correctly - some good advice in this thread, maybe this helps:
1616422566765.png

The parts highlighted need to go the other side of the caliper arm - on both caliper arms.

Now, assuming you have got the pads in OK and they are aligned with the rims OK, you need to sort out cable slack. If necessary undo the cable clamp (shown below) and adjust the cable, reclamp it to set the caliper up to be as close to the wheel as you can without any rubbing and making sure when you pull the lever that it applies the brakes firmly without having to pull too far. If you have a little bit of adjustment to make then you can use the adjuster on the lever to fine-tune it.

1616422822792.png

For extra finesse you can make sure the caliper pulls equally from both sides by adjusting the tensioners (below) - make small adjustments, one side at a time, and see how it affects the application and return of the caliper arms.

1616423014613.png

Having done all this, over time your new pads will wear meaning you have to pull the levers further to get the brakes to work - when this happens simply use the adjusters on the brake levers to bring it all back where you want it.

It is possible that your old brake pads were incorrectly installed in the first place - now's the time to check and make sure it is all in perfect working order. Brakes is one place not to take chances.

OP
OP
B

Biker2772

So i took everyones advice that was relevant to me. The image above, I followed that and the left side fits properly but for the right side, it keeps moving about even after tightening it completely.

C R

Guru
So i took everyones advice that was relevant to me. The image above, I followed that and the left side fits properly but for the right side, it keeps moving about even after tightening it completely.
Is the wire spring that comes up inside the arm out? It should be set against a tab inside the arm.

As a side comment, those look like sheet metal arms, which flex a lot and never give the best performance. You should be able to get a set with solid metal arms for not much money, which will perform much better.

weareHKR

Is the wire spring that comes up inside the arm out? It should be set against a tab inside the arm.
As a side comment, those look like sheet metal arms, which flex a lot and never give the best performance. You should be able to get a set with solid metal arms for not much money, which will perform much better.
This... ☝

Also, the small adjustment screw for balancing the arms should be used together to centralize the arms, they work in tandem with each other, individual adjustments can be made for fine-tuning!

Top Bottom