v brake pads

apb

Über Member
are they a universal standard

i have some Aztec brake shoes that i need new replacement pads for. was thinking of trting a different brand.
Will they just fit or is it a maybe or probably not.

cheers

No they are not, but the differences are slight and can typically be altered to fit. You get straight and banana-shaped pads. Either fits best in same-shaped shoes but can be forced to fit. Then, the retention mechanism differs. Some use a little screw, others use a type of spring pin. The one requires a groove in the rubber, the other an indentation or nothing. Again, with a knife, you can make it fit.

Shoe type differs too. Some shoes have a smooth stem, others have a threaded stem. But it seems you want to keep your shoes and just change the pads.

SpokeyDokey

Into my 64th
Often the shoes and pads are not much different in price to pads alone.

I have TRP CX9's that came with TRP road shoes/pads which I dumped and replaced with Ashima 4 Function hhoes and pads.

72mm curved, no squeal, easy set-up and they are brilliant stoppers.

Can't remember where I got them now but they came with 4 shoes and 8 pads for sub £20.

mcshroom

Bionic Subsonic
It's very likely that your pad holders are for 72mm v-brake pads. They are almost universal on v-brakes now IME. THe clincher will probably be that the pads are held in the holders using a small spit pin.

I use the red, grey and black Clarks pads on my hybrid and tourer. Cheap and effective :smile:

Reactions: apb
OP
A

apb

Über Member
It's very likely that your pad holders are for 72mm v-brake pads. They are almost universal on v-brakes now IME. THe clincher will probably be that the pads are held in the holders using a small spit pin.

I use the red, grey and black Clarks pads on my hybrid and tourer. Cheap and effective :smile:
yeah i was looking at buying the clarks pads as they are split pin like the aztec ones.

thanks for your reponse.

Top Bottom