v brake pads

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

apb

Veteran
are they a universal standard

i have some Aztec brake shoes that i need new replacement pads for. was thinking of trting a different brand.
Will they just fit or is it a maybe or probably not.

cheers

No they are not, but the differences are slight and can typically be altered to fit. You get straight and banana-shaped pads. Either fits best in same-shaped shoes but can be forced to fit. Then, the retention mechanism differs. Some use a little screw, others use a type of spring pin. The one requires a groove in the rubber, the other an indentation or nothing. Again, with a knife, you can make it fit.

Shoe type differs too. Some shoes have a smooth stem, others have a threaded stem. But it seems you want to keep your shoes and just change the pads.

SpokeyDokey

67, & my GP says I will officially be old at 70!
Often the shoes and pads are not much different in price to pads alone.

I have TRP CX9's that came with TRP road shoes/pads which I dumped and replaced with Ashima 4 Function hhoes and pads.

72mm curved, no squeal, easy set-up and they are brilliant stoppers.

Can't remember where I got them now but they came with 4 shoes and 8 pads for sub £20.

mcshroom

Bionic Subsonic
It's very likely that your pad holders are for 72mm v-brake pads. They are almost universal on v-brakes now IME. THe clincher will probably be that the pads are held in the holders using a small spit pin.

I use the red, grey and black Clarks pads on my hybrid and tourer. Cheap and effective :smile:

Reactions: apb
OP
OP
A

apb

Veteran
It's very likely that your pad holders are for 72mm v-brake pads. They are almost universal on v-brakes now IME. THe clincher will probably be that the pads are held in the holders using a small spit pin.

I use the red, grey and black Clarks pads on my hybrid and tourer. Cheap and effective :smile:

yeah i was looking at buying the clarks pads as they are split pin like the aztec ones.

thanks for your reponse.

Top Bottom