V Brakes Advice Needed

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

chrisb1357

Über Member
Hi all,

I have followed the guide on http://bicycletutor.com/ to adjust and tweak my V Brakes on my Giant Hybrid and my back breaks was fine after sorting them out and feel alot better but i just cant get the front ones to how i want them. I seem to be pulling the break handal to far and the pads still dont seem to touch as well as the back

Any tips or ideas

Chris

mcshroom

Bionic Subsonic
Sounds like you need to adjust the cable tension.

Try the adjuster on the brake lever, or if that fails untighten the bolt holding th cable to the brake arm and pull a bit more through

OP
OP
C

chrisb1357

Über Member
On the video guide it says tighten the screw bit on the leaver in all the way which is what i did.

Chris

Norm

There are, I think, two adjustments screws on the levers. One is for the reach of the lever (in other words, how far it sits from the grips when nothing is touching it) and the other is the barrel adjuster, to allow for the brake blocks wearing.

If there isn't enough adjustment to get the blocks onto the rims properly, you need to do what mcshroom says, and move the cable at the brakes through the pinch bolt.

This is explained in the Bicycle Tutor video starting at about 2:43. He skips through it pretty quickly, the text just says "Now re-connect the cable and adjust the cable tension on the brake arm by pulling the cable through the pinch bolt and tightening. You’ll have to play with this adjustment until your brakes feel good." At the moment, I'd say that your brakes don't feel good, so that is the bit you need to sort.

Hope that helped. :biggrin:

Norm

Norm said:
He skips through it pretty quickly...
Listening to it again, he skips through it amazingly fast. Given that he considers swapping the washers warrants 15 seconds of the video, he only devotes 10 seconds to adjusting the cable length / tension, which is one of the most important parts of the braking set up.

Curious.:biggrin:

Bayerd

Über Member
Norm said:
Listening to it again, he skips through it amazingly fast. Given that he considers swapping the washers warrants 15 seconds of the video, he only devotes 10 seconds to adjusting the cable length / tension, which is one of the most important parts of the braking set up.

Curious.:biggrin:

Maybe he doesn't know as much about this part.....

OP
OP
C

chrisb1357

Über Member
All sorted now thanks to the video link, Was able to do the back again as well without the need for a video guide

Chris

Top Bottom