V brakes on cyclocrossers

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

downfader

extimus uero philosophus
After my conversation with the LBS tech I had consigned my Jake to riding it carefully and snail pace in the wet. Something I find rather annoying as my old hybrid was somewhat easier to manage in the wet...

..however I had been looking at brakes for the new bike and came across this review on mini Vs:

These brakes transformed my braking power and confidence to ride in the wet after replacing some crap canti's on my cyclocross. Could do with an adjuster on noodle
http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=34580

This set me thinking. I have seen a couple of flickr pics of guys using V brakes on crossers before, and if a mini fits then surely a full sized jobby should (just). Plus even the Deore brakes aint that expensive, Vs are cheap compared to good road brakes so it would be no great loss to just buy a set.. I can always put them aside for another project later. They would also help the pannier bag fit a little better as the cantis rub.

So tonight I stuck a set on the front forks to just try it out. Havent fully fiddled yet and the bike is currently unridable until I can or reinstall the cantis. Will be an interesting weekend:tongue:

vernon

Harder than Ronnie Pickering
I found that Froggleg cantis transformed the braking on my Dawes Galaxy. Using Koolstop Salmon brake pads further helped the braking effect - something gratefully accepted when excessively portly.

OP
OP
downfader

downfader

extimus uero philosophus
vernon said:
I found that Froggleg cantis transformed the braking on my Dawes Galaxy. Using Koolstop Salmon brake pads further helped the braking effect - something gratefully accepted when excessively portly.

I think mine are frogleg copies as they seem to be the same shape. :angry: Mine are by Kore I think.

OP
OP
downfader

downfader

extimus uero philosophus
Update, reinstalled the cantis (well halfway there). Will keep the Vs as spares. The LBS was right, but sometimes you have to try these things out to see why.:biggrin:

Top Bottom