Vacuous line managers

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Does anyone else here have a vacuous line manager because I need to feel that I'm not alone! Today she phoned me up and launched into giving me a bollocking without getting her facts right first. There's me doing what I've been told to do by one of the directors and there she is bollocking me for doing something completely different which I'm not actually doing, but she thinks that I am doing. Cue one massive argument, me putting her right, me threatening to leave, her looking stupid, and then instead deciding to bollock me for something else I didn't know about just so she didn't lose face on the 'bollocking' front!!

AAAAARRRRRGGGGGHHHHH!!!!! ;):angry:xx(

But seriously, should I just email her and tell her to stay out of my way, or say words to that effect the next time I see her? I *really really* want to right now...I already arranged for someone else to do my appraisal because she's so blindingly incompetent...oh my god where do they find these people?

longers

Legendary Member
Send round Papercorn ;). He has excellent interpersonal skills.

col

Legendary Member
Do you regularly get blamed for things you have nothing to do with,by this person?

purpleR

Guru
Isn't there some rule of the workplace which states that people keep getting promoted until they reach their own personal level of incompetence... and then there they stay.

Deep breaths.

SamNichols

How is the line manager set up built where you're at - is there any way for you to swap line managers, or are you in set teams? Before you email anyone, I suggest that you consult a union rep, or else it could all get exacerbated (not that it doesn't sound bad enough anyway).

Dormouse

I suggest that you ask to see her to discuss the issues. Put your case clearly and concisely and try to keep calm if possible!

If that is not possible, go and see a director or go through your official complaints procedure if you have one,and again keep calm and explain your issues clearly without exaggerating or making personal comments. That way your compaints are more likely to be taken seriously.

If you get no satisfaction, how about finding a new job or working for yourself if that is feasible?

col

Legendary Member
Dormouse said:
I suggest that you ask to see her to discuss the issues. Put your case clearly and concisely and try to keep calm if possible!

If that is not possible, go and see a director or go through your official complaints procedure if you have one,and again keep calm and explain your issues clearly without exaggerating or making personal comments. That way your compaints are more likely to be taken seriously.

If you get no satisfaction, how about finding a new job or working for yourself if that is feasible?

I agree with this,but i would add if i may,always have someone with you,in all talks,a union rep,or colleague.

yes... my last line manager... i was then fired.

As someone who doesn't suffer fools gladly, if I were you, I would be more than happy to give her a piece of my mind! xx(
Ridicule her, belittle her, but with justification (which I'm sure you have in bucket loads).
You have always given the impression of being very competent in what you do (whatever that may be ;)), so trust your gut-feeling, and fire away on both barrels, turn on your heels, and go.
Your bosses will soon see who the buffoon is, and they'll be ready to negotiate for your return.
If they don't, then at least you'll be able to look yourself in the mirror and feel good about yourself.
Go for it, Kirstie! :smile:

Thanks for the advice - all I needed to do was sound off, I can handle the rest myself I think.

I don't work in a team, I'm a senior lecturer at a university, so essentially I work on my own in a subject group alongside lots of other people working on their own. This person manages the subject group for a set period of time, then steps down and someone else does it. I already brought up my concerns about her competence in the role with the director of staffing in a calm way, which is how I got to have someone else appraise me.

I'm not about to go official again over this as she's only in post for another 18 months so I just have to keep my head down until she goes away. Then she will revert to being just a colleague of mine again. Unfortunately for the rest of us during that time she is in charge of allocating our workloads, doing our appraisals, signing off research bids, brokering our time on course teams and managing our conference budget. She's managed to upset pretty much everybody as she is a control freak, barks orders and offensive judgements first and then immediately absolves all repsonsibility for her comments. Just has shocking interpersonal skills I think.

Elmer Fudd

Miserable Old Bar Steward
Kirstie, is it a new broom ?
I'd just feckin ignore them and carry on with my job.
Always remember, those who are good at their job do not get promoted because the company (whatever) value your work experience, it's almost always the talkers who get up the ladder but they know Jack Shite.

Elmer Fudd said:
Kirstie, is it a new broom ?
I'd just feckin ignore them and carry on with my job.
Always remember, those who are good at their job do not get promoted because the company (whatever) value your work experience, it's almost always the talkers who get up the ladder but they know Jack Shite.

You're so right Elmer...

yenrod

Not taking away form Kirst's situ' - last wk I think, having been where I work for 18months (though 'the boss' started at same time as me) the depot supervisor didn't himself see to it that we respect him and see him as this: he actually got the area manager to ask us (4 of us in all) to respect and treat the depot manager as that and not forget that...

So, now to various degrees (me', quite alot) think that the depot manager is a dickhead ! xx(

Aaaaaaaaaarrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrgggggggggggghhhhhhhhhhhhhh !

Kirstie - what I'd do is forget the reasoning with the 'lady' (bitch) whom should act a hell of lot better than she is ! ;) - just go above her: and talk VERY VERY straight to them - like you have THE biggest degree of respect for yourself !...as, and I seen this happen many times, they'll have the ideaolgy of 'this girl is respectable but also QUITE replaceable'...

SO YOU GOT TO EXCLAMATE THE Matter of injustice you feel with this lady AND YOU NEED SOMETHING CHANGING...otherwise you'll go as you cannot work, very sadly mind (this is the sucky bit = as you love the company, flutter eyelids etc..) but you are extremely engaged in the company that changing (jobs) would off put how you feel professionally ! :smile:

Top Bottom