Valid reasons for cycling on to the pavement

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Cab

1) Bin lorry is reversing rapidly towards you, the road is too narrow for there to be anywhere else to go other than on to the pavement.

2) Blue flashy lights cause all of the motorists brains to disengage and they all make a dive for the kerb, and you were in the cycle lane...

3) On pavement shared use path illogically stops three or four feet from the junction you're waiting at according to the sign, and continues on pavement on the other side of the junction. You don't believe the sign, and you want to turn left and go down that way anyhow...

4) You could have sworn that you were on a cycle path a moment ago... when the hell did that end, why wasn't it labelled?

Arch

Married to Night Train
In 1 and 2, I think it's OK to get up on the pavement in a hurry, as long as you then stop and wait for the obstruction to clear, or dismount and walk, rather than just cycle on.

3 and 4, I think you'd be justified.

as for 5, well, if I lived my life according to my Mum's worries, I wouldn't be on here talking to you lot for a start! :tongue:

LLB

6) I think and act like a pedestrian whilst on my bike - therefore I can go where I like, change direction without warning others and generally pee off those who try and 'do the right thing' when on theirs whilst reinforcing the stereotype in other road users eyes !

HJ

Cycling in Scotland
1-4 seem logical and reasonable, 5 only if being followed by magnatom with his helmet cam and you want to star on youtube...

yorkshiregoth

Master of all he surveys
7. Because one is scared of the big bad cars and lorries and one doesn't have enough confidence to ride on the road in case one gets beeped at. :tongue:

OP
OP
Cab

Cab

In an emergency, if its the best way of avoiding an accident, yes, it would be okay for a car to mount the pavement. Hence the initial examples. And if a road suddently and without warning or signs saying so becomes not a road, you can't blame the motorist. It shouldn't be considered okay to mount the pavement to park, but for some reason it is.

The difference is cyclists ride on pavements.

Parking on the pavement apparently does not constitute "driving". Apparently being on the pavement is not proof that a vehicle was driven there and the driver cannot be censured!

domtyler

Über Member
11. Because you have just commited an armed robbery and are making your escape.
12. Because you are an anarchist and don't believe in rules.
13. Because you are a motorist and want to portray cycling in a bad light.

Top Bottom