Value photochromatic sunglasses

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

mythste

Veteran
Right!

I've got some cheap decathlon sunnies that are perfectly useful for my day to day needs, and for the year I've had them I think I've got the £7 I paid for them back!

I'm looking for something a bit nicer this time round, and given the ever changing weather photochromatic glasses seem like I sensible option.

Has anyone got any experience with sub £50 models? I don't want to spend too much as they'll invariably end up a bit scratched after a year or two and I dont want to feel too bad about it. They'll be used most days.

Thanks!

Oldfentiger

Veteran
I've had these for a year or so and they're excellent for the price........

http://www.ribblecycles.co.uk/ribble-photochromic-lens-glasses-ribble/

I don't want to spend too much as they'll invariably end up a bit scratched after a year or two and I dont want to feel too bad about it. They'll be used most days.

Thanks!

To tell the truth, because of this, and because I usually have at least a small pannier with me, I find it easiest to just carry two pairs with me. One has swappable lenses as well, I don't find that the light changes too suddenly/much for me to need my glasses to react. I appreciate that this isn't an option if you just ride with a seatpack and stuff shoved in your jersey back pocket.

@ May be on the lookout for cheap glasses myself - may be in the happy position of being able to move away from cycling glasses with prescription inserts - had assumed that my eyes were getting worse with age whereas in fact I may be getting less short sighted (it does happen apparently) - was in Aldi the other day and discovered to my surprise that I could see better through their £1.99 cycling sunglasses than my pricey specialized ones with prescription inserts. :smile: So bought their nice blue pair - really comfortable. Why not use a clear/yellow pair and a separate dark pair?

Oldfentiger

Veteran
Interesting suggestion. How fast do they change?

Always hard to tell what glasses will look like on though. Any chance of a pic of your good self modelling these? Pouting optional.

How fast do they change? No idea tbh :scratch:
When I'm wearing them I'm not conscious of them, so they must be doing what it says on the tin.
All I can add is that I don't feel dazzled in bright sunshine, and I don't have to take them off when it goes dull. I've even left them on while riding though tunnels.

And what's the point in sending you a photo of me? You won't be able to aspire to my looks, cos I'm I'm mature and distinguished :tongue:

OP
OP
mythste

mythste

Veteran
To tell the truth, because of this, and because I usually have at least a small pannier with me, I find it easiest to just carry two pairs with me. One has swappable lenses as well, I don't find that the light changes too suddenly/much for me to need my glasses to react. I appreciate that this isn't an option if you just ride with a seatpack and stuff shoved in your jersey back pocket.

@ May be on the lookout for cheap glasses myself - may be in the happy position of being able to move away from cycling glasses with prescription inserts - had assumed that my eyes were getting worse with age whereas in fact I may be getting less short sighted (it does happen apparently) - was in Aldi the other day and discovered to my surprise that I could see better through their £1.99 cycling sunglasses than my pricey specialized ones with prescription inserts. :smile: So bought their nice blue pair - really comfortable. Why not use a clear/yellow pair and a separate dark pair?

It's a good point, the glasses I have do have changable inserts which is fine in general but I'm trying to have a bit of a cull on the amount of crap I carry with me. I'm finding im not enjoying my Sunday rides as I have so much stuffed into jersey pockets, then when it clouds over the glasses wont fit back there or get scratched against other unnecessary items, and my helmet doesn't have vents in the right place to store them there.

I'm going to find a small, efficient saddle bag, ditch the pump and get some canisters and get a pair of glasses I don't need to worry about stashing.

I'd encourage you not to leave the pump myth.

Or you may sooner or later I reckon you'll be seeing red mist before you.

all the best

And what's the point in sending you a photo of me? You won't be able to aspire to my looks, cos I'm I'm mature and distinguished :tongue:

oo, go on - must be a pic of you riding.

Just realised you are from my neck of the woods. Maybe I share your dazzling looks genes :smile:

As an aside, I do remember once, on a ride taking my cycling glasses and, I swear, without any jokiness or irony, a female rider looked surprised and said "blue hills, you're really good looking without the glasses" ! - they were Oakley's that had cost me over £220! - just goes to show you don't need to spend a ton - will go cruising at the weekend in my £1.99 Aldi specials and knock em dead :smile:

Oldfentiger

Veteran
oo, go on - must be a pic of you riding.

Just realised you are from my neck of the woods. Maybe I share your dazzling looks genes :smile:

I'm not from London, I'm from the Fens of Cambridgeshire. Need a certain amount of inbreeding to share my dazzling looks genes :becool:

OP
OP
mythste

mythste

Veteran
I'd encourage you not to leave the pump myth.

Or you may sooner or later I reckon you'll be seeing red mist before you.

all the best

always have panniers on my commute so the full shebang gets carted along regardless. In a year of Sundays I've only had one puncture so (without jinxing it) I'm not too concerned, two little cannisters in a saddle bag should be fine!

Top Bottom