Valve Types

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Paulq

Bike Rider, Beer Drinker, Biscuit Eater.
Took delivery of my Specialized crosstrail courtesy of C2W today :laugh: and have a quick question. The tyres are Marathon+ 700 x 35 and fitted with Schraeder valves (car type). I have loads of spare innertubes in the right size but all with Presta valves - can I use these if I get a p****ure and will they fit ok or do I need to buy Schraeder ones?

Cheers.

MrJamie

Oaf on a Bike
I think you can but it isnt ideal.

M+ tyres are so puncture resistant that you probably wont be going through innertubes, Id just spend a fiver on a shraeder spare that youll hopefully never use. I went from maybe 40 punctures in 500 miles to 0 punctures in over 2000 miles when i switched to M+.

Pauluk

You can use presta tubes on schrader rims ok. I've done it before without any issues.

I think you're supposed to be able to buy little bushes that screw on the valve and reduce the hole size in the rim, but I've never managed to find an outlet that sells them.

I think the rubber valve base is plenty strong enough to stop the tube having a hernia through the valve hole.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
I went from maybe 40 punctures in 500 miles to 0 punctures in over 2000 miles when i switched to M+.
If you got 40 punctures in 500 miles then you probably had bits of glass (or some other sharps object(s)) embedded in your old tyres and constantly repuncturing your tubes. Always find what caused a puncture before you repair a tube or put a new one in.

I get no more than about 1 puncture per 1,000 miles and I don't have bomb-proof tyres fitted!

MrJamie

Oaf on a Bike
If you got 40 punctures in 500 miles then you probably had bits of glass (or some other sharps object(s)) embedded in your old tyres and constantly repuncturing your tubes. Always find what caused a puncture before you repair a tube or put a new one in.

I get no more than about 1 puncture per 1,000 miles and I don't have bomb-proof tyres fitted!
Its the state of the some parts of the Redways here, teens sit drinking in the underpasses and smash bottles allover the floor, sometimes its pretty obvious theyve stood around throwing several bottles in the same place so theres just glass shards everywhere and because its darker you dont often notice it until youre pretty much in the middle of it. Ive literally just got back from Tesco 2 miles away and picked my way through 3 or 4 visable puddles of glass in each direction and no doubt tons more i didnt see. Despite my usual rides at the time being 20-30 miles around the countryside at the weekend and usually involving at least 1 puncture, i cant remember ever getting one that wasnt in MK. The one bit of maintainence they do do, seems to be cutting the spikey bushes around the lakes and leaving the path litered with thorns too :smile:

Good advice though and i did have a few re-offenders, but you can tell from the state of the old tyres that theyve just been cut up horribly especially if you hold them up to the light. The tyres werent bad as new, but once theyd worn a bit they just werent upto all the glass.

Tim Hall

You can use presta tubes on schrader rims ok. I've done it before without any issues.

I think you're supposed to be able to buy little bushes that screw on the valve and reduce the hole size in the rim, but I've never managed to find an outlet that sells them.

I think the rubber valve base is plenty strong enough to stop the tube having a hernia through the valve hole.

I bought a couple from, umm, that place in South Croydon that is linked to Geoffrey Butler's.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Its the state of the some parts of the Redways here, teens sit drinking in the underpasses and smash bottles allover the floor, sometimes its pretty obvious theyve stood around throwing several bottles in the same place so theres just glass shards everywhere and because its darker you dont often notice it until youre pretty much in the middle of it. Ive literally just got back from Tesco 2 miles away and picked my way through 3 or 4 visable puddles of glass in each direction and no doubt tons more i didnt see. Despite my usual rides at the time being 20-30 miles around the countryside at the weekend and usually involving at least 1 puncture, i cant remember ever getting one that wasnt in MK. The one bit of maintainence they do do, seems to be cutting the spikey bushes around the lakes and leaving the path litered with thorns too :smile:
Ah, that's a bit grim - it does sound like a job for M+ tyres then! :thumbsup:

Top Bottom