Van driver is sacked by his firm after CCTV footage shows him swerving into a cyclist.

Discussion in 'Commuting' started by thomas, 13 Apr 2010.

1. OP
    OP
    thomas

thomas the tank engine

Well, having said I was going to miss it, I did catch it. Think the companies' director shouldn't of bothered mentioning the cyclists position as it is quite likely his position was planned and sensible, rather than gutter hugging.

One sensible comment about banning the driver for life, with another 2 saying that cyclists are annoying and should face this type of thing, lovely.

2. hackbike 666

hackbike 666 Guest

This is a joke right?

Not so long as there are moronic idiots about.Even I got driven at a few months ago.This is the mentality of some motorists out there.That's if they aren't using their mobile phones.

3. gouldina

gouldina New Member

This happened to my missus and the lesson to learn is not to cycle next to the pavement but further out. At least then you've got somewhere to go if the motorist is too close.
    The thing is I doubt it was actually deliberate but a lot of motorists are just careless of the safety of cyclists. I do a little informal data gathering on a road I take all the time where one side has a bike lane and no parking and one side has parked cars and I can report that most motorists on this piece of road give more room to the cars parked on the other side of the road than to me on my bicycle. Why I have no idea. I can only imagine that they just don't think much about me at all.

4. downfader

downfader extimus uero philosophus

http://www.thisislondon.co.uk/stand...-deliberately-swerving-into-london-cyclist.do

This has already been raised on other forums I notice. The LCC have made some comment on it and commended the firm and the police for dealing with it promptly.

Comments have started, but theres now a report abuse button for the slanderous and abusive:

5. hackbike 666

hackbike 666 Guest

Good on him...there are a lot of bullies out there safe in their tin cans.

6. Mycroft

Mycroft New Member

why in the name of fried fudge do people with so little brain power always seem to lump things into the right-handed or left-handed bins?

pity the ambidextrous!

the cyclist is a civil servant, so i assume that if labour lose the election this guy will still be working?

compulsory IQ tests for all road users IMO, that might reduce road use a fair old bit.

7. downfader

downfader extimus uero philosophus

I know. I'm sick of the "tree hugger" or "liberal" sh** myself. Churchill was a Liberal and the greatest political leader we ever had! Nothing wrong with being a leftie or a tory either imo, now if he cycled around London with a BNP flag on his back I'd understand a jibe.

And yes, most civil servants keep their jobs in some capacity after a change of government.

8. Crankarm

Crankarm Guru

Sadly HB, I don't think BM is joking, he actually believes the propaganda that is put out. See Tinut's synopsis on my related thread.

http://www.cyclechat.net/forums/showthread.php?t=58890

9. Crankarm

Crankarm Guru

Rest assured that the last few days I have been using the car, I have given the few cyclists I have seen a lot of room passing them on the other carriageway as if overtaking a car when it was safe to do so and slowing so as not to scare the crap out of them.

10. hackbike 666

hackbike 666 Guest

Looks like I took the 1980's too much for granted as I have had two of these drive at me incidents in the last 5 or ten years.Never had this in the 1980's.Interestingly enough it was Mile End Road boy racers last time as I couldn't get out of the way fast enough.SO as he drove past me he swerved left making me swerve left to avoid him hitting me.No bad for a gutter hugger with nowhere to go?

Get this with peoples attitudes when I speak to them...so obvious bias and hatred towards cyclists.Had this discussion in the messroom many times but why do I try defending myself with statements like I don't RLJ when people are not interested?

11. HJ

HJ Cycling in Scotland

One down only a few thousand more to go... :smile:

12. psmiffy

psmiffy -

The good thing about it is the publicity it received - albeit the cyclist was partially blamed and the van driver semi martyred - people will realise that they can be dismissed for this sort of behavior

13. Mad Doug Biker

Mad Doug Biker Bikeoholics Anonymous

Which was ok, but it was a busyish road and I was not travelling very quickly, so if I had been further out then I'd have held traffic up behind me.
    It isn't a very wide road either, but this van was WAY closer to me than the other traffic was, so if I had been riding further out, then God only knows what would have happened.

Incidentally, I try to cycle in the right lanes where possible, obey traffic lights, etc etc, so I don't just blindly blunder along in the gutter all of the time.

Actually I try and use alternative and safer routes where possible. I see that some members on this forum seem to be a bit snotty about Cycle paths, but I'd rather use them than get harrasssed on a road!
    In fact, I can more than garauntee that a journey on the road will take WAY longer to undertake than if it was on a cycle track!

14. darthpaul

darthpaul Well-Known Member

If anyone missed it fast forward on iplayer to 1 hour 50 mins. I am listening now to it.

15. BentMikey

BentMikey Rider of Seolferwulf

It's not propaganda, it's fact. London is cycling paradise.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice