van morrison vs. jools holland

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

yello

killiekosmos said:
After all we wouldn't ask Wayne Rooney about the ancient Greek philosophers.

An interesting idea... though I suspect the Socrates that Rooney knows of used to play for Brazil.

yello said:
An interesting idea... though I suspect the Socrates that Rooney knows of used to play for Brazil.

Coleen: 'Wayne, Plato was not a Belgian.'
Wayne: 'What's a Belgian?'
Apologies to J.Cleese.

Noodley

I'm sure I once saw Rooney mention Kant during a match.

I'm not sure he thought highly of his views as I'm sure he called him "f***ing Kant" :biggrin:

Went to see Van about 4 or 5 years ago. Was intrigued to find out if the hype was right. I've got Astral Weeks, Moondance and Tupelo Honey l.p.'s but nothing of his later stuff.

Well to say being completely underwhelmed and bored would just about sum both him and me up that evening.

As for J.H. A once half decent pianist decided he was bigger than the band he was a bit player in to seek out fame and fortune as a T.V. presenter. Which went quite well for ten years and then became a turgid yawn-a-thon slap on the back matey safe as houses act. He's beginning to remind me of d.j. Steve Wright (In the afternoon c.c BBC.) whom I hate with every ounce in my body!!!

girofan

One thing peeps fail to realise, is that, all artists have a finite artistic life and their best work is usually mid-career.
I went to see VM in the early eighties. What a fantastic band he had, with Jack Schoerer on alto!!!
Yes, he has become a parody of himself, but occassionally he shows glimpses of his real talent. Don't dismiss old war horses out of hand, once they lit up someone's life!

Flying_Monkey

Recyclist
Sorry, I have never rated any of his stuff. Brown Eyed Girl makes me turn off the radio immediately. There are very few white attempts at blues/soul that I can listen to without whincing. I think Eric Burdon (especially in his link up with War) was one who really had it, and Stevie Winwood before he went all MOR, and maybe the late lamented Steve Marriott.

Flying_Monkey said:
There are very few white attempts at blues/soul that I can listen to without whincing.

What about Dusty Springfield? Or perhaps some of the early John Mayall?
I agree with you about Van though - can't stand him.

Haitch

Flim Flormally
I saw Van Morrison in 1977. He shuffled on stage, sat on a bar stool, sang into his lap for about half an hour and then shuffled off.

Still, he's not as bad as Joe Cocker.

Flying_Monkey

Recyclist
Rhythm Thief said:
What about Dusty Springfield? Or perhaps some of the early John Mayall?
I agree with you about Van though - can't stand him.

I was thinking guys - I will certainly grant you Dusty. John Mayall, yeah, okay, he doesn't make me whince!

Top Bottom