Van Nicholas Euros or Yukon

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

noggin

any comments?

for an extra €250 I get frame that'll take mudguards- that seems to be about the difference and the Yukon is .2 kilos heavier

I do not race- weekend/charidee (mate:blush:) rides and sportives

Only spotted today on the interweb that prices quoted in the bike builder are excl. tax/shipping- bugger!

PapaZita

Guru
I don't have either of those bikes, but I do have a Zephyr and an Amazon which have similar geometries to the Euros and Yukon respectively.

The Yukon will take mudguards, but it'll feel a bit different to ride too. It has a longer wheelbase (3cm) and shallower head tube angle (1 deg) than the Euros. These differences makes my Amazon a little bit more stable and relaxed to ride than my Zephyr, which has more of a twitchy racing bike feel to it. The way I've built up the bikes must also make some difference: The Zephyr has light wheels and carbon bits and weighs just under 8kg, the Amazon has sturdy wheels and disc brakes and weighs just over 10kg. Still, with skinny tyres the Amazon is not a slow bike. It could handle fast club runs no problem.

I'd say that either bike could be suitable for the sort of riding you do. Perhaps even the Amazon might be worth considering too. Lots of people do ride long charity rides and sportives on full-on race bikes, but if you really need mudguards then the Yukon might be the right choice, but if you really prefer the feel of a race bike then it'd be a shame to compromise that. Would clip-on guards suffice for occasional wet rides?

I reckon the best thing to do would be to arrange some test rides and see which geometry you prefer. I bought both mine from Fat Birds Don't Fly in Hunstanton, and in the unlikely event of being allowed a third, I wouldn't hesitate to go back to them. Call first, of course, to check that they have the bikes and sizes that you're interested in. Their prices are good too - maybe even better than buying from the VN website.

PZ.

Noodley

Noggin, you can see and have a go on my Yukon if you want. Are you doing the bealach next week?

I got my Yukon from Wheelcraft and Al built it up to my spec. It worked out cheaper than FatBirds or direct ordering - and I got handbuilt wheels, the gearing I wanted, etc, etc.

But do not go in to the shop expecting to leave within the hour! Easy and relaxed pace - much coffee on offer, I even got offered a meal when I went to collect my bike!

(edit - send me a PM in Bridieland if you want)

Paul_Smith SRCC

www.plsmith.co.uk
As others have implied the Yukon still has a quick geometry, not full on race bike but quick, but fast none the less.

Even though the Euros has a race bike geometry it is infact also aimed at fast day rides more than competitve racing, if you compare it to Cinook for example you will see the latter has straighter thicker stays with more rigid ends, where as the Euros has shaped stays and less rigid ends; Yukon rear ends are slightly thicker and more rigid than Euros.

If you are saving the bike for fair weather rides without any requirement to carry a pannier rack at any stage then Euros is a good choice, by the same token for all weather use then Yukon would be what most would chose.I intend to use mine for fast days rides and effectively as a replacement for the bike used in all the cycle tours at linked to at the bottom of this page, so I will be adding a pannier rack to support a rack top bag.

I actually wrote the review of my own bike in the Road Cycling link that Keith referred to; I was extremely sensative to the fact that I am both an owner of one and a stockist, so lets face it I like them, none the less I believe I was completely objective in all my comments and findings; which is one reason that the Editor Richard Hallet has asked me to write some reviews in the first place, as he knows me well enough to know that I would not be anything other than that.

Paul Smith
www.corridori.co.uk

noggin said:
any comments?

for an extra €250 I get frame that'll take mudguards- that seems to be about the difference and the Yukon is .2 kilos heavier

I do not race- weekend/charidee (mate:blush:) rides and sportives

Only spotted today on the interweb that prices quoted in the bike builder are excl. tax/shipping- bugger!

OP
OP
N

noggin

Thanks for all comments- lots to consider- haven't even decided if its' triple or compact yet!

Noodley - nah did Bealach shortie in May that was enough for me ( may do long one next year) thanks anyway for offer- may see you around at Scottish events- doing Pedal for Scotland and Braveheart ride

Will probably order from LBS-Embra bikes in Aberdeen- they are VN dealers

noggin said:
Will probably order from LBS-Embra bikes in Aberdeen- they are VN dealers
Wouldn't be so sure that that's a great idea. I asked them about getting an amazon in for a test ride and the response that I got was only if I promised to buy it.

OP
OP
N

noggin

I'm going to see & test Noodley's Yukon tonite..

Top Bottom