Van Nicholas

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Rob3rt

Man or Moose!
I dont think I would ever buy a titanium bike for performance reasons, so I'm half way between YahudaMoon's opinion and the rest of you lot. I'd like an elaborately lugged frame, but with a bare brushed finish! Basically I'd only be buying Ti over a lugged steel frame for the bare brushed finish, lol.

VN's current track bike frame looks lovely though!

YahudaMoon

Über Member
I noticed Van Nic use a collar for the seat post / frame. Another cheap cop out. Surely at them prices it should be integrated into the frame. As shown in my pics.

Wobblers

Euthermic
They are lovely bikes and one will be my next purchase.
The only thing that let's them down is that the graphics on the frame look pretty shyte (sorry to any Van Nik owners out there)

Don't apologise -they are dire! User10571's removed the decals from his VN - and it looks pretty damn smart. I really must get round to doing that on my Yukon: I reckon acetone should do the job. A trip to the solvent cupboard beckons....

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
Don't apologise -they are dire! User10571's removed the decals from his VN - and it looks pretty damn smart. I really must get round to doing that on my Yukon: I reckon acetone should do the job. A trip to the solvent cupboard beckons....

Acetone is what User10571 did use...

snailracer

Über Member
cutting lugs from titanium; someone has some expensive machine tools.

but what is the point, it doesn't make for a better performing frame.
Lugged & brazed steel is easier to repair. Presumably the same applies with titanium, which would be even more appropriate because titanium frames should, in theory, last longer than steel ones and so should be maintainable.

snailracer

Über Member
I noticed Van Nic use a collar for the seat post / frame. Another cheap cop out. Surely at them prices it should be integrated into the frame. As shown in my pics.
Collars wear out and eventually break - not good for a titanium frame which would be expected to last a "lifetime".

rb58

Enigma
I love my Enigma. And with regards graphics, they'll do it anyway you want. Had mine polished and it looks lovely and beautifully understated.

They are lovely bikes and one will be my next purchase.
The only thing that let's them down is that the graphics on the frame look pretty shyte (sorry to any Van Nik owners out there)

I have an Amazon. The graphics are typically European and look rather dated, and there are too many, but, good news! VN have updated them on all their 2012 bikes and new transfer sets will be available soon. They look rather better (but still not as cool as Enigma). There is no lacquer on their frames - the transfers are very high quality 3M. No paint to chip is one of the reasons I went to titanium. I occasionally polish it with Autoglym car polish, just for the sake of it, generally a wipe over with GT85 cleans it up nicely. I think VN are pretty good value for money - I've done 6000 miles on mine and am well pleased - it won C+ bike of the year, 3 years ago maybe.

craigwend

Grimpeur des terrains plats
Collars wear out and eventually break - not good for a titanium frame which would be expected to last a "lifetime".

perhaps use one of these then?

seatcollar.jpg

on a Ti seat post...

seatpost.jpg

I like the graphics, not to bold or gaudy, quite understated IMO

Top Bottom