Vango spirit 200+

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Crankarm

Guru
delt1c said:
i didnt know there was a specific footprint for the Spirit 200+ until I was ordering it.Here is the link where I got my footprint and tent.

http://www.springfield-camping.co.uk/Vango/Spirit+200++Footprint+2009/923/pc.
Have just got the sleeping bag, opted for a Pro Action Ultra Light 100gsm Sleeping Bag. very light and packs small, only cost £19.49 in Argos and at the same time got a Xtreme Lite 3/4 Self Inflating Mattress. Didnt realise at the time it was 3/4 , but seems comfy enough.
Just got to get a sleeping bag liner now. Fancy a fleece one , but will see what I can find.

You're getting there then. You surprise me......Argos. The mattress and bag you bought are ok?

The weather is really peachy at the moment :smile: have been thinking of setting off for a long weekend somewhere with bike and tent. Have even been thinking of driving down to Dover parking the car up somewhere quiet, sorry train is too expensive and takes too long by comparison, and then going across to France as foot passenger and bike on the ferry. Mind you there are quite a few illegals to avoid who are living in the forests of northern France near Calais close to the coast. Will have to check my panniers coming back if I decide to go.

Whilst I don't yet have a Vango 200+ my petite Vaude Taurus UL could do with an airing. It hasn't been open for a few years not since the Tour of the Cols des Pyrenees in 2005. The next few nights are looking quite mild 8-10C so will see where I can go. How about the Peak District, very hilly indeed or just ride out into Norfolk? Trouble is I imagine only a few if any campsites will be open yet. If not will have to chance it and go wild :sad: .

Randochap

Senior hunter
samid said:
Crankarm, it is Toronto Canada :smile:I'm glad we only have black ones here on the east coast, not grizzlies :biggrin:

Howdy, Canuck! Don't underestimate black bears. While it's true that grizzlies are more unpredictable, black bears aren't exactly free of surprises either.

There have been some high profile black bear attacks -- one leading to the death of a jogger in the Rockies, last year. And this bizarre incident on Vancouver Island. Incedentally, the Island bear population is no longer confined to ursus americanus. Ursus arctos horribilis has swum over from the Mainland and has been sighted in several North Island locations. We keep eyes peeled on our night rides up there.

Keep all food and cosmetics out of or near to tent. Do not pack tent in same pannier as foodstuffs.

Cromcruaich

Great little tent, pitch as one with ease, good porch area. I consider the footprint an essential, unless you know in advance its going to be dry where and when you pitch.

steviebhoy

hi im new to this forum came across it on searching for advice on the spirit tent.Does the spirit 200+ have enough room to fit two bikes into the porch or would i need the 300+? and if anyone has any pics of the porch and the tent would be much appriecated thanks.

Jugular

I don't think it's possible to fit full size bikes entirely in the porch, at least not comfortably. I'm not sure a 300+ would do the job either as I get the impression it's simply wider, whereas length is the real issue.

I tried this tent out for the first time last weekend and was very impressed by it, my Brompton did fit inside! After feeling the thinness of the groundsheet I'm definitely buying the footprint to improve the resilience.

For the size and quality it's a good value tent. I'm still not sure fitting a bike inside is all that desirable anyway, given how much heavier the tent would be, and simply having a bike blocking your exit would be annoying.

steviebhoy

i would just want to put the bikes into the porch at night when sleeping for safety.does the 300 pack up too big to put onto a pannier rack? suppose i could split it with my friend the weight.

vernon

Harder than Ronnie Pickering
steviebhoy said:
hi im new to this forum came across it on searching for advice on the spirit tent.Does the spirit 200+ have enough room to fit two bikes into the porch or would i need the 300+? and if anyone has any pics of the porch and the tent would be much appriecated thanks.

I don't understand the pre-occupation with getting bikes into the porches of tents. They don't feel the cold or feel lonely and are quite content being locked to immovable objects somewhere vaguely near the tent. :angry:

jags

Guru
samid i tried that with my akto to be honest i found it harder to pitch now i pitch the tent and slide the ground sheet under seems to work ok.
i did think of buying the vango spirit 200 it looks a super tent emm maybe next time.

Crankarm

Guru
http://www.outdoormegastore.co.uk/acatalog/Vango_Spirit_300__Ultralite_Tent.html

http://www.tagoutdoors.co.uk/#/vango-spirit/4533618706

I like the Vango Spirit 300+ for it's size and porch. I saw a Spirit 200+ in Blacks a couple of years ago and I felt it wasn't that much bigger than the 2 man Vaude Ultalight Mk2 I currently have even with it's porch. My Vaude Ultralight, I can just fit a Brompton in the porch area with shoes and other smallish items you don't want inside the main tent. You could certainly do this with the Vango Spirit 200+, but I doubt very much one could fit a full size touring bike inside though without taking off the wheels.

The Spirit 300+ porch is 5cm higher and 40cm wider than the Spirit 200+ porch. So not hugely larger.

I wouldn't want to go much bigger than than the Spirit 300+ for solo or two person touring.

GrahamG

Guru
I find the 200+ pretty luxurious for a lightweight touring tent - although I've never bothered putting bikes in the porch (it'd be a squeeze and as mentioned above, they're better off locked to the nearest tree/sign/hedge etc.), I did consider the need to cook or make repairs if it were pissing down though and that's what made me go for the vango - with one wheel off I'm sure a bike would fit just fine.

I know
it's an old thread but this seemed the best place for this - on topic and all.

Just bought one. Very pleased with it so far. Has been erected on front lawn twice but not yet properly packed.

Any particular tips (I have looked in vain on the Vango site) for easy/efficient packing, both with inner still connected (aparently you can do this) and if packing two bits separately?

I seem to remember reading somewhere that if you pack the bits separately, you should wrap the flysheet in the inner tent but I may have imagined this.

Any tips much appreciated (and do you prefer to pack as one or separately?), particularly as I know from experience that it can be a lot harder to get a tent into a bag than out.

doog

I know
it's an old thread but this seemed the best place for this - on topic and all.

Just bought one. Very pleased with it so far. Has been erected on front lawn twice but not yet properly packed.

Any particular tips (I have looked in vain on the Vango site) for easy/efficient packing, both with inner still connected (aparently you can do this) and if packing two bits separately?

I seem to remember reading somewhere that if you pack the bits separately, you should wrap the flysheet in the inner tent but I may have imagined this.

Any tips much appreciated (and do you prefer to pack as one or separately?), particularly as I know from experience that it can be a lot harder to get a tent into a bag than out.

I dont have that tent but a Vaude Taurus ultralite. On tour I keep inner and fly connected. If I deemed it necessary to separate the two I would wrap the inner in the fly to keep it dry.

As for packing, I have heard not to pack tents the same way every time, indeed some people just stuff them in the stuff sack. I fold it a few times and roll it.

Big hint, dont pack your tent pegs anywhere near the tent
whistling.gif
. Keep them in the panniers or something.

I pack with the inner still connected as well it seems much easier .. i fold and roll and it seems to go back into the bag with little effort

IMG_0045.jpg

The Spirit 200+ is a great tent but i found that i dont need such a big porch as all of my cycle camping is solo .. so i've just bought the Vaude Taurus Ultralight to replace my Spirit

vaudetaurus.jpg

Foxy

Top Bottom