Varifocals

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

JtB

Prepare a way for the Lord
I'm fed up carrying 2 pairs of glasses with me everywhere, so I've just ordered my first pair of varifocals. If anyone else here wears varifocals, how easy was it for you to adjust to them?

Danny

Legendary Member
The shop said it would take about a week - and it did. Have never had a problem since!

Wolf04

Optician advised that you should actively look when walking down stairs as the usual glance down would be through the reading part of the lens. Didn't take much getting used to.

dellzeqq

pre-talced and mighty
failed miserably - I now do the Jerry Springer thing and put my specs on top of my head when reading small print.

colly

Re member eR
Tried and failed.
I gave them a good two weeks but simply couldn't get the hang of them. Headaches, loss of balance, eyes all over the place looking for something to focus on properly. Hope you have better luck.

Mortiroloboy

I've been wearing them for a few years now, when I first got mine the Optician told me I may have difficulty negotiating stairs, particularly descending, but I didn't. In fact I had no problems getting used to them at all, much better than continually swapping specs IMO.:ohmy:

Globalti

Legendary Member
Absolutely brilliant, wouldn't - couldn't - be without them now. Only took a day to get accustomed. I even got a pair of Rudy Projects made in tinted varis, great for reading piste maps.

Willow

[quote name='swee'pea99']Stop messing about - get your eyes lazered.[/quote]

agree, I hated taking glasses everywhere, then moved to reactalite varifocals which were ok but still tedious (esp in rain), last summer after much research and a few obstacles on the way I got the eyes zapped, fantastic. No glasses at all, one eye for reading one for distance and the brain adapts so amazing.:ohmy:

I'm still struggling to get to grips with varifocals after 2 years. Biggest problem for me is trying to read the Sunday broadsheets. I don't seem able to accept moving my head from side to side instead of just swivelling my eyes. It may be that the lenses are a bit to small and therefore the vari areas are particularly small. I've now had a specific pair of 2x vari area specs made specifically for my desk/computer work (most of the working week. I don't need specs for walking around or driving. In fact I need to look over the top to see people across the office.

Luddite me - I stuck with a pair for reading and a pair for distance work. Optician says my distance vision is improving anyway and may not need glasses at all by the time of my next test. Now just got to work out how to make this happen for reading too (some chance!).

Gerry Attrick

Lincolnshire Mountain Rescue Consultant
Varifocals vary........geddit?...Oh please yourselves. I've used them for the last ten years. But.....and a big but...they are not the same from wherever you get them. The best I've had have been from Vision Express because they seem to use a lens with the biggest area devoted to close up. The worst I've had was from a close competitor and which were never "right" from the day bought, and close up stuff was distorted. Tried to complain, but as I had had the eye test elsewhere, they blamed the optician, whilst the optician blamed the manufacturer. There's a lesson to be learned here.

Basically I think you get what you pay for.

Top Bottom