Varifocals

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Willow

Gerry Attrick said:
Varifocals vary........geddit?...Oh please yourselves. I've used them for the last ten years. But.....and a big but...they are not the same from wherever you get them. The best I've had have been from Vision Express because they seem to use a lens with the biggest area devoted to close up. The worst I've had was from a close competitor and which were never "right" from the day bought, and close up stuff was distorted. Tried to complain, but as I had had the eye test elsewhere, they blamed the optician, whilst the optician blamed the manufacturer. There's a lesson to be learned here.

Basically I think you get what you pay for.

Yep you are right though I managed relatively with ones from specsavers but hated the ones from boots - I think the prescription has to be near to perfect.

Rigid Raider said:
Absolutely brilliant, wouldn't - couldn't - be without them now. Only took a day to get accustomed. I even got a pair of Rudy Projects made in tinted varis, great for reading piste maps.

I have a set of "Ketyum" glasses with a varifocal insert - the ideal answer as I maintain the adaptability of being able to change the lensed.

I wore mine out of the optician's and went into another shop only to find myself feeling sick while looking at things on shelves. I wore them for the rest of the evening feeling quite strange, but next day I felt great with them and haven't looked back since. My second pair (from the same place) are not quite as successful, but still better than all that messing about with two pairs of glasses.

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
Took about a week or so for me, I rarely wore glasses except for reading/computing and would peer over the top of'em for anything over a metre away. I needed a new prescription be
cause although distance was still good I was strugling to see my dinner in focus, so when tested I took the plunge for varifocals. As with others, took just over a week to adjust to them, one 'moment' descending stairs, but otherwise I love 'em now and happily wear them all day almost unnoticed.

Cranky

I've used varifocals for about 8 years now and wouldn't be without them. I was originally told I'd get used to them in a couple of days but it took at least a week. The main difference was making conscious movements of the head instead of just the eyes but that became second nature. I also have varifocal lens inserts for my cycling glasses and they are just brilliant.

Scoosh

Velocouchiste
I've used them for a couple or three years and find them to be a big improvment over 2 pairs. I was advised to 'point your nose at what you want to see' and I agree with John P
I don't seem able to accept moving my head from side to side instead of just swivelling my eyes.
- but have got used to it. It's reversing/parking the car which really bugs me :wacko:.

I use single focus ones for most computer work, though.

yoyo

I adjusted to varifocals immediately and wouldn't be without them. Am still on my first pair and wear them all the time.

Globalti

Legendary Member
It just takes the brain a day or two to realise that the world it is seeing isn't actually like that and to learn to adjust the input to match the real world. The brain's very good at that.

OP
OP
JtB

JtB

Prepare a way for the Lord
My varifocals arrived today and to be honest I'm really struggling to focus. I'm having to move my head all over the place and I need to be quite precise indeed (and these are suposed to be the wide vision lenses) if I want to get things into focus. If this doesn't get better over the next week, I'm going back to 2 pairs of glasses. :biggrin:

byegad

Legendary Member
I took to mine in minutes. (I was used to bi-focals worn all of the time before I bought the vari's) Two friends, otherwise good chaps and with their heads screwed on, took my advice and could NOT get away with them. Mine are varifocal and reactive and both features are great as I don't need to carry anything else.

OP
OP
JtB

JtB

Prepare a way for the Lord
I've never worn bifocals myself. But I'm finding with these varifocals that the positioning of my head needs to be spot on to get things into focus and that I'm continually moving my head up/down and left/right to get the optimum position. I hope it become more intuitive over time because I'm finding it easier at the moment just to let things stay out of focus rather than keep on moving my head all over the place.

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
Rigid Raider said:
Don't worry - within a couple of days you'll be used to them.
Bizarrely, as RR says, this is the case.
I had exactly the same problem for a few days and came close to taking mine back, but all of a sudden it all started to work, you suddenly forget they're there and somehow it all works right. Give them time and try not to think about them.

Top Bottom