VC10s

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Mad Doug Biker

Just a damaged guy.
Hello, I was in Lymington for a few days last week and on two separate occasions I saw a plane that looked very much like an RAF VC10 fly over (one in Lymington, the other in Brokenhurst).

Would I have been seeing right, is this on the flightpath to an RAF base or similar somewhere?? they weren't flying terribly high you see.

I was aware of others such as RyanAir planes flying over relatively low also, but I assumed that was for Southampton Airport.

Anyone know??

P.S. I also hired a bike from beside Brokenhurst station so I could pootle about.

It was a black, blue and white Giant Rincon by the way.

alecstilleyedye

nothing in moderation
vc10s are pretty distinctive, a t-tail with two engines either side.

i think the raf still uses them for fuelling and also vip transport.

Norm

Brize Norton is a fair way from Lymington, but they could have been going to Southampton (if they were heading to / from the north) or Bournemouth, which is only a little way west from there. Ryanair use Bournemouth too.

OP
OP
M

Mad Doug Biker

Just a damaged guy.
Thanks, they were not very high as I say, and it was this fact that meant that I was able to see the plane in at least some detail.
The wings were swept back, and there were engines beside the tail.
They were flying almost over my head, so when I looked at the tail, it looked just like any other (I'm aware it's a certain shape - almost like the tail of a whale I've always thought).

Anyway, if anyone is in the area, look up when a plane flies over, it might be one of them.

levad

Veteran
They live down the road from me. I had a tour around a couple when I helped on one the outings my son's Boys Brigade went on.

They are very loud! They are in the process of getting ready to replace them but the final decommissioning is not for several years yet.

No, I don't know why they would be around the New Forest.

I remember flying in a VC10 in passenger service, a B.O.A.C. flight, way back in 1967. It was my first ever flight in a jet aircraft - I'd previously done a flight in a propeller aircraft. For some reason, the aircraft type sticks in my memory ever since (it was a famous make), unlike those of more recent flights. But it didn't last long as a commercial passenger airliner, I believe, though it had a longer career in the RAF.

Yellow Fang

Legendary Member
Do prime ministers still fly in them when going to pay homage to the US president? IIRC Maggie Thatcher complained they were noisy.

In recent years, they have tried to save money. They tend to either charter a whole plane (usually BA) or the entire 1st Class section of a scheduled route. Sometimes they have used the Queens Flight.

skudupnorth

Cycling Skoda lover
Two are being scrapped at Bruntinthorpe with more to follow for spares recovery to keep the fleet flying a little longer.Bad year for RAF classics with Nimrod MR2's also being retired

OP
OP
M

Mad Doug Biker

Just a damaged guy.
Take a swatch at this brilliant BOAC promotional film from 1963, it even has 2 baby elephants in it, and all in glorious technicolor too

A true gem of a film, although I don't think I really want to know what Fishmuff is/was!:

View: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J-iG9Cd4IV0&feature=related

The second part in my opinion is the best, particularly from 2:40 onwards ......Ok, so it's a '707 here, but hey, who cares? just dig the 2 pilots still with military bars on their uniforms!:

View: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x9pN591cF1Y&feature=related

OP
OP
M

Mad Doug Biker

Just a damaged guy.
Woot!! I post 2 fantastic films there and nobody says anything?!

I know this is a bike forum, but, still!!

Oh well.

Of the Trident film, the second and third parts are the best by far!

Globalti

Legendary Member
My great uncle Eddie designed the tail of the VC10, he was Chief Designer at Hurn in Hampshire. I remember watching the maiden flight on Granny's grainy B&W telly - "Will it fly?"

Top Bottom