Veg slicer/chopper....any recommendations ?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Dave7

Legendary Member
MrsDs health means I do all the meals now..... (hence most of my questions on this section). However she wants to help where possible**
**one example being the veg for coleslaw. However she cannot slice/chop as small as needed.
So..... a slicer/chopper is needed (she wants to make the coleslaw not buy from the store).
Any recommendations ??

jowwy

Can't spell, Can't Punctuate....Sue Me
i do chunky coleslaws....dont always need to be finely chopped like supermarket bought ones. a decent knife should do the job no problem.

i think she may have issues holding slicers and could end up causing herself more damage.

Bonefish Blues

Banging donk
That’s Aldi for you…will probably go off after 2 days like their fruit and veg too :rolleyes:

You've got a good one then V. Stuff barely lasts the trip home - no idea how they manage it?!

OP
OP
Dave7

Dave7

Legendary Member
i do chunky coleslaws....dont always need to be finely chopped like supermarket bought ones. a decent knife should do the job no problem.

i think she may have issues holding slicers and could end up causing herself more damage.

TBH neither of us likes "chunky" coleslaw, hence we are are looking for a simple chopper type thingy.

CanucksTraveller

Macho Business Donkey Wrestler
If she's older and has health issues a mandolin might potentially be a safety issue, but you be the judge as you know your wife best. I'd probably prefer to get her a food processor if it was me, then there's zero risk of injury.

I've had a Kenwood Multipro for about 15 years (sadly I've just dropped and cracked the bowl, otherwise it'd still be in use - I'm getting a nice new one through my work's gift scheme, but I digress).
The Kenwood machines are powerful and have nice, easy to use features and ergonomics, very comfortable, very easy to clean. I see they do one for as low as 66 pounds, and it does have a slicer and grater. It's also got a blender jug, they're really useful for fruit smoothies, soup etc.
https://www.kenwoodworld.com/en-gb/multipro-compact-fdp301si-2-in-1-food-processor-silver/p/FDP301SI

vickster

Legendary Member
If she's older and has health issues a mandolin might potentially be a safety issue, but you be the judge as you know your wife best. I'd probably prefer to get her a food processor if it was me, then there's zero risk of injury.

I've had a Kenwood Multipro for about 15 years (sadly I've just dropped and cracked the bowl, otherwise it'd still be in use - I'm getting a nice new one through my work's gift scheme, but I digress).
The Kenwood machines are powerful and have nice, easy to use features and ergonomics, very comfortable, very easy to clean. I see they do one for as low as 66 pounds, and it does have a slicer and grater. It's also got a blender jug, they're really useful for fruit smoothies, soup etc.
https://www.kenwoodworld.com/en-gb/multipro-compact-fdp301si-2-in-1-food-processor-silver/p/FDP301SI

Or £39 from EBay with a grater blade
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/394069808887?hash=item5bc06416f7:g:8oEAAOSwaWxie4Xg&amdata=enc:AQAHAAAA4Lt5Ltax3LWopFqCz/dK8oPIDW0DTthhGB8FD0wr3LziJemhlbOSFuIoGHqgkac3uT/4q0dMoZ2pmUPC+/2JNpMKSIljm0NmcKPwfmUyCCPYlYeNVDCzHE3TLAy65kTDTpy4g8udFmyXdpCj4KeM8/fEN7AtqB31qIt7uZkVUenfdM/dQZ4L7Qct5nfsvLpm10fainfexJoMZODDzWrf9YylT602sUmYVqeea3cGHhhdf5sqTsvYqp0L97naBYy4K9MKew9B0RWqeLqUzoL0wpZi33IuLaort+wPX5+dAXla|tkp:BFBM2PW4x8Zg
(actually £35 with a 10% off coupon)

welsh dragon

Thanks but no thanks. I think I'll pass.
With all hand choppers you need a certain Amount of strength especially for harder vegetables so they might not be the right tools to buy for Mrs D.

I would go for an electric one. Google is your friend in this case. Just Google veggie choppers/slicers for impaired users.

Arjimlad

Tights of Cydonia
I have been very pleased with the OXO good grips slicer I got in June.

https://www.johnlewis.com/oxo-good-grips-hand-held-mandoline-slicer/p231459872

It makes short and easy work of slicing onions, tomatoes, mushrooms, raw beetroot and peppers etc. The blade is very sharp and the slicing action takes very little effort. It washes up very easily too.

I have got rid of the Kenwood food processor which was taking up too much cupboard space for the little use it had, it is far easier to whip this mandoline out and slice all the veg needed for a five person curry in a few moments.

jowwy

Can't spell, Can't Punctuate....Sue Me
TBH neither of us likes "chunky" coleslaw, hence we are are looking for a simple chopper type thingy.

not knowing what health issues she has, makes it difficult to advise and im not asking you to tell us, as i think those things are private

Top Bottom