Vehicle Insurance

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

funnymummy

A Dizzy M.A.B.I.L
Actually just having a license is useful long term. I know someone who learnt to drive, then just didn't drive for almost 15 years, their premiums where way lower than someone who had just past their test at 35.

True.
But as we live on a budget he had the choice of pay out for weekly Driving (car) lessons, pass his test, but not be able to drive one and have no transport, or a pass his CBT, then get small loan to buy his first bike and be mobile.

Wasn't a hard choice at the time

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Stockport is bad for insurance as there has been a one man crime wave - false rear end shunts etc - he did almost 100 before he was caught - this was on the A34 near Stanley Green.

Also youngsters - my nephew's been driving a couple of years. Bought himself a nice, nearly new 207 then hit a wall. Looked minor damage, new wing, door skin etc, but the air bags had gone off. £3.5k claim - OMG.

jackm

Cost of insurance can't be helped by the repair and loan car industry helping themselves to huge amounts of money at the insurers expense, I recently was bumped up the rear(ohh err). Rear bumper slightly damaged, paint and reflector, .car was off road for 3 days, and total cost to the other persons insurance company was just under a grand!!!!!!!!

Dan B

Disengaged member
Have you seen the price of a door mirror recently? Whoever came up with the idea of putting £200 of technology into a small plastic box which then protrudes into the public highway further than any other part of the car - fricking genius. I would almost be minded to suggest that anyone claiming for a damaged mirror while parked on the street should be considered as contributorily negligent ...

srw

It's a bit more complicated than that...
Cost of insurance can't be helped by the repair and loan car industry helping themselves to huge amounts of money at the insurers expense, I recently was bumped up the rear(ohh err). Rear bumper slightly damaged, paint and reflector, .car was off road for 3 days, and total cost to the other persons insurance company was just under a grand!!!!!!!!

That's something the insurance industry is doing its best to stamp out. Starting with some high profile cases, including a footballer who claimed a £63,000 hire bill when his £72,000 car was damaged: http://www.postonline.co.uk/post/news/2046238/bent-credit-hire-appeal-court-hearing

Have you seen the price of a door mirror recently? Whoever came up with the idea of putting £200 of technology into a small plastic box which then protrudes into the public highway further than any other part of the car - fricking genius. I would almost be minded to suggest that anyone claiming for a damaged mirror while parked on the street should be considered as contributorily negligent ...

The economics of many industries are nonsensical. The motor manufacturers are interested in maximising total profitability across the lifetime of the vehicle, and if that means making easily damageable parts extremely expensive they'll do it.

Night Train

Maker of Things

Given the economies of scale such items should be at throwaway prices but that would be a loss of revenue for the manufacturers I reckon.

I don't think being parked should be negligent though. You might as well say that being shunted from behind is the victims fault if they have an estate car that is longer then a small hatchback.

Archie_tect

De Skieven Architek... aka Penfold + Horace

True, makes sense to fold them in if parked on the road - one drunken person driving home from the pub, down our street a few years ago managed to clip mirrors on 6 cars on his weavy way including one car that was completely scraped and creased from bumper to bumper- somehow missed ours on the run. He was caught thankfully and banned.

XmisterIS

Purveyor of fine nonsense
I reckon the premiums are going up so much because of the large number of scumbag who drive uninsured - law-abiding motorists get the priviledge of paying for them to be selfish b***ards. A mate of a mate of mine was knocked off his moped several years back by one such scumbag - the scumbag then drove over my mate's bike and his leg as he was lying in the road, and attempted to drive off. Luckily some members of the public saw all this and stood in front of his car - and the scumbag apparently sat there revving the engine and threatening to kill them all unless they moved. Was in the local rag and everything. I think the scumbag only got about 3 years inside for that one though. Jaw-droppingly light sentence I think!

quassleberry

You could try Post Office insurance, they do separate things for cars,vans & motorbikes and are having a splurge of discounts for the 'over 50's' at the minute.

I am a bit biased because I work for them but if anyone wants to see if Post office can save them any money please could you use the code 0063215 it would earn mega 'brownie points' for my office and help to keep us open. Also without an office code you don't get the offers apparently.

I don't drive or ride a motorbike so I truly don't know how they compare to others, but it costs nothing to check online or phone them and see if they can keep your money in your pocket. The feedback on experiences would be helpful too. :blush:

fossyant

More like £400 mate.......... with painting !

Smokin Joe

Legendary Member
The biggest rip-off is the price of those colour coded bits of tissue paper they laughingly call bumpers. Need a new one on a car a decade or more old and it's cheaper to write the car off and buy another.

fossyant

Oh and that's one that does not auto fold in..

I replaced a heated mirror on my car - £40-£50 for the glass alone....

So, get some CTC / BC insurance, just in case.

Disclaimer - I've never knocked a mirror off other than when a car turned across me, and my body took it off. I landed on the floor like.... done it twice now....

Re the original post, is the bike old enough to count as a classic bike? Can you get classic bike insurance on cheaper rates, as you can with most classic cars?

It's years since I have owned a motorbike, so I am completely out of touch with these matters....

davefb

Guru
The biggest rip-off is the price of those colour coded bits of tissue paper they laughingly call bumpers. Need a new one on a car a decade or more old and it's cheaper to write the car off and buy another.

GAH!

car makers go to all that trouble to get better ncap numbers for pedestrian injurys and people moan :smile:. seriously though, theres lots of car bits on the front/back that are intended to deform in order to reduce injuries for the peds and the people in the car....

still mad though ,mainly because insurance claims wont do what normal people would do, ie 'get the cheap non-dealer one or from a scrappy'

my ins went up loads 300 to 500,, but since that was 8 yrs NCD to 9yrs NCD you could argue it went up even more...

a lot of quotes were 700+ . madness.. a flipping 1.2l corsa!

Cardiac

Über Member
For what it's worth...

I'm 53. Volvo S80 (2005), fully comp with business use specifically included, Mrs C as a named driver, up to 20k miles a year, and 9 years+ no claims - £364. Maybe that's partly a benefit of this part of Cambridgeshire. But I dread to think what I'd pay without the no claims discount.

Top Bottom