Velib...anyone used it?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Cathryn

Legendary Member
Off to gorgeous Paris in November ;):biggrin::biggrin::biggrin::biggrin: and instead of walking everywhere as per usual I shall be dressing chic-ly, pretending to be Parisienne and using Velib.

Of the three, only the third is likely to actually come off, so has anyone used Velib and got any advice??

wafflycat

Haven't used it, but no practical advice other than when I was in Paris last November, it was very popular and there were Velib parking/collecting points at zillions of places in the city, so if I had wanted to use it, it was likely to be a practical option.

I can't answer that, as i have not been along Londiniums roads for many a long year, though I have been through it's underground passages. I can't imagine that London is worse though.

gavintc

Guru
Well a Parisian driver (I know from his registration plate) tried to kill my wife and then me on a mountain road in the Ardeche. He came alongside my wife and then moved slowly sideways looking at her and smiling. The problem was the few hundred feet drop on the side of the road. Thankfully she was a few feet from the side, braked and his slid into his wake. I was ahead and heard the scream. He came alongside me, I started giving him shoot in English through his open passenger window for scaring my wife. I did not at that time know what had happened. He then did the same to me. It was one of those incredible experiences. I will never forget his fat wife looking straight forward and his toothy grin as he watched me and moved to the right. I braked to a stop and he just missed me. It took me a few minutes to get back on the bike and resume the climb. My wife was very upset. Most French are great - but watch out.

palinurus

Velo, boulot, dodo
I used it at the weekend. I thought it would be geared up for Parisians rather than tourists or short-term visitors but it is dead easy to use. You can buy a one or seven-day pass cheaply (I think the 24-hour pass is one euro, not much anyway) directly from any of the bike stands, of which there are many, using a credit or debit card. It's no more difficult than dealing with an ATM. You release your bike with a four-digit code that you select on first use, ride it to the area you want to go, then ride around looking for a stand with a spare slot.

Obviously once you know where the stands are it makes things easier but there really are a large number around (1450, compare this to 245 Metro stations- never more than a few minutes walk apart in central Paris). In popular areas the stands maybe full, necessitating a trip to the next nearest (there's a little map on the paypoint at each stand).

The bikes are fine. Heavy (22kg apparently), but seem to roll much better than their weight would suggest, three gears (a Nexus hub), basket (very handy), always-on dynamo lighting, enclosed chain.

Don't know what they are like uphill but Paris is fairly flat except a couple of notable lumps. Riding up the Boulevard St. Michel away from the river was probably the only long hill I encountered and that was easy enough for both myself and Ms P (not a regular cyclist).

The tariff is set up so that if you want a bike for a whole day a hire bike will be cheaper. The first 30 minutes is free, up to 1 hour 30 minutes it's pretty cheap, then the price increases.

The bikes were generally in good order, although before selecting one it is worth giving it a quick once-over.

The Wikipedia summary is pretty useful: Velib- Wikipedia

Flying_Monkey

Recyclist
I've used them and they were much better than their equivalents in Copenhagen for one thing (the latter have solid tyres and one gear and are not much fun), and for another drivers in Paris are generally much more respectful of bikes than in London in my experience.

Flyingfox

palinurus said:
The tariff is set up so that if you want a bike for a whole day a hire bike will be cheaper. The first 30 minutes is free, up to 1 hour 30 minutes it's pretty cheap, then the price increases.

I have used them a lot when I've gone to Paris, and it's only ever cost me 1 Euro to use them. The trick is to place them back in a stand before the 30 mins is up, then either take another one if you need to cycle on, or if you are sightseeing just leave the bike in the stand rather than locked up somewhere (why pay for something you are not using and also risk having it nicked). The drivers are no worse than in London, you just have to remember which side of the road to cycle on!

palinurus

Velo, boulot, dodo
There are less roundabouts in Paris and more light-controlled junctions which makes it easier. Some of the junctions are fearsomely complicated however, and where there are roundabouts they are often whopping great ones with traffic coming out of all sorts of unexpected directions. Sometimes, for good measure, there are cobblestones on them.

On the whole I'd say Paris is probably a bit easier than London for cyclists, but I don't spend that much time cycling in either city (spend a fair bit of time in each, but usually on foot).

Top Bottom