Velo Birmingham anyone applying?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

JD42

Hills are nature's way of culling the weak
Can anyone confirm the exact location of the start as I would like to book a hotel asap. Thanks in advance

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
The aero bar / tri bar ban is officially because any bicycle that can't be controlled under all circumstances ( including bunch riding) fails,
but unofficially it's because they want it to look like a fake race as the control reason is clearly horse dung because there's no rule that you have to keep your hands anywhere near the brake levers on a drop bar.

The ban on 'bents, is purely due to lack of full visibility in a close bunch, on narrower parts of the course ( including unsighted stopping due to mechanical issues ).
People following too close to stop safely? Shall we do anything to punish unsafe riding? Nah, let's just ban the wobblies and gimps. They're used to it and won't fight back(!) :rolleyes:

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
Can anyone confirm the exact location of the start as I would like to book a hotel asap. Thanks in advance
It says "Route subject to final revisions" on the website, so no, but it looked to me from maps and profiles like the start would be somewhere near Victoria Square and head out along Broad Street. The middle of Birmingham isn't that big so most of the central hotels should be within walking distance. HTH.

JD42

It says "Route subject to final revisions" on the website, so no, but it looked to me from maps and profiles like the start would be somewhere near Victoria Square and head out along Broad Street. The middle of Birmingham isn't that big so most of the central hotels should be within walking distance. HTH.
Sounds good. Didn't want to book somewhere a few miles away as not Brum savvy. Are you riding it ?

Booyaa

Veteran
Sounds good. Didn't want to book somewhere a few miles away as not Brum savvy. Are you riding it ?
It's not that big a city centre so you should be fine anywhere in the city. Think it is due to start outside the council house/town hall so either a city centre or Broad Street hotel would be fine.

Reactions: mjr

JD42

It's not that big a city centre so you should be fine anywhere in the city. Think it is due to start outside the council house/town hall so either a city centre or Broad Street hotel would be fine.
Cheers. All the info is much appreciated

JD42

Velo birmingham have just released an email with start point and a list of hotels nearby.... big brother must of been watching..lol

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
Looks like a sponsor's places are up for grabs.

Here's the text of a marketing email which recently landed in my inbox:

Velo Birmingham – Second Chance

Hi,

We’ve got some exciting news for you…

London Midland are giving you a second chance to enter the sold out Vélo Birmingham! To celebrate this exciting partnership, London Midland have released their sponsor places for general sale, giving you another chance to secure your entry.

Entries are on sale NOW, but places are extremely limited and will sell out FAST!

Don’t miss this one-off opportunity to join 15,000 riders in this epic new 100 mile closed road sportive, starting and finishing in the heart of Birmingham city centre on Sunday September 24 (the same weekend as The Cycle Show!)

I'm in, I'm doing the ride London 100 as well. Two 100 mile closed roaders, around Britain's first and second cities, with a month in between. I'm going to be busy.

Top Bottom